Full Floater or Semi Floater?

WhiskeyBottle2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone...I know my rear axle v131a L10102 is a 12 bolt 4.10 limited slip axle. What I don't know is if it is a full floater or semi floater.

It has 8 bolts on the face that is in the center of the dually wheels. The face is flush with the center of the outside wheel. The wheels are alcoa aluminums so about 1" thick or so.

My truck is a 1986 F-250 4x4 dually conversion, xlt lariat, 6.9L N/A with a zf-5 speed and Borg Warner 1345 transfer case.

So...is the rear axle a full floater? If so, what does that mean?

Thanks very much guys for answering.

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
99% sure you have a full floater unless someone was smart enough to convert a light duty 3/4ton. they never made a light duty 250 with a diesel

You must be registered for see images attach

that is a full floater hub. if that center black/rusty thing is not there. you have a semi-floater

WhiskeyBottle2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah it must be a full floater

99% sure you have a full floater unless someone was smart enough to convert a light duty 3/4ton. they never made a light duty 250 with a diesel

You must be registered for see images attach

that is a full floater hub. if that center black/rusty thing is not there. you have a semi-floater

Well I know my truck was originally a 250 HD and that center black/rusty thing is there too. Looks like you could use it as a handle to unscrew it.

Ok, so we know...Now what does "full floater" mean?

Thanks again

BTW...Sweet Tires...Same as mine I think...

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
Well I know my truck was originally a 250 HD and that center black/rusty thing is there too. Looks like you could use it as a handle to unscrew it.

Ok, so we know...Now what does "full floater" mean?

Thanks again

BTW...Sweet Tires...Same as mine I think...

call google

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
Full floating axle is one that has the axle bolt on to the rear hub/brake drum. You can unbolt the axle, take it out of the housing and still push the truck around without the wheel falling off because the hub and axle bearings are still held onto the housing with a nut. The weight of the truck and load are carried by the housing and bearings rather than the axles, like in cars and light trucks.

WhiskeyBottle2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fullfloat

Full floating axle is one that has the axle bolt on to the rear hub/brake drum. You can unbolt the axle, take it out of the housing and still push the truck around without the wheel falling off because the hub and axle bearings are still held onto the housing with a nut. The weight of the truck and load are carried by the housing and bearings rather than the axles, like in cars and light trucks.

Good hearing from you again...thanks for the in-depth explaination. I did call Google earlier, but all I could seem to find was the last part of your explaination...ie...weight of truck...etc...

No one else mentioned the part about rolling around without the axles in...So, I guess unless one is using more than 10% of their brain...Google might not tell all...lol

Thanks again...

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
im just playing.. its a stupid joke i fell for once... what!? google has a number!? now i say it alot.

seriously just search google images for full floater axles and you will learn quicker then us trying to explain.

Good hearing from you again...thanks for the in-depth explaination. I did call Google earlier, but all I could seem to find was the last part of your explaination...ie...weight of truck...etc...

No one else mentioned the part about rolling around without the axles in...So, I guess unless one is using more than 10% of their brain...Google might not tell all...lol

Thanks again...

WhiskeyBottle2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Call Google

im just playing.. its a stupid joke i fell for once... what!? google has a number!? now i say it alot.

seriously just search google images for full floater axles and you will learn quicker then us trying to explain.

I didn't take offense to call google...lol...I did before it was said, but I really didn't come up with much yet...I forgot about using google images...and maybe u-tube....I dont know why but images really works better and does lead to better info if you ask me...I just zonked out on it...

diezelcrazee

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Actually, Google does have a number......:eek: :D

You can text them at 46645 (googl) for all sorts of info. Kinda nice if your an ole codger like me and on the road an don't have one of them fancy internet phones.

Sorry.....couldn't resist....:D:D:D:D

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
So.. What is a GM differancial called that has to remove the axle to get the drum off of the differancial stub... A full floater that a pain to do brakes on... I just did this on my 79 chevy C30 camper special 1 ton single cab... What a mess that is to do brakes... All we have to do on our rigs is remove the tire and pull off a drum. The hub stays in place on the differancial.....

TDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
come on...everyone knows that googles number (666) 666-SPIEsonus

WhiskeyBottle2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok Guys...I really appreciate all the good info on my questions about the axle and the joking around was fun too. However, I finally found a couple of sites that went into great detail about the difference's between full and semi-floaters for our trucks as well as gvw's, wall thicknessess, type of metal the gears are made of and on and on and on...Geez, I read it all and now I feel like Sheldon on Big Bang Theory...LOL

At the very least I know my rear axle gwr and more important...how to do the brakes. Who Hoo...

jhnlennon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So.. What is a GM differancial called that has to remove the axle to get the drum off of the differancial stub... A full floater that a pain to do brakes on... I just did this on my 79 chevy C30 camper special 1 ton single cab... What a mess that is to do brakes... All we have to do on our rigs is remove the tire and pull off a drum. The hub stays in place on the differancial.....

Not all the fords are this way, only the ones with a sterling rear. If you got a dana rear end, you have inboard mounted drums just like the 14bolt GM. GM also changed over their 14 bolt full floater in the later years to removable drums.

And whats all the fuss about taking the hub off anyway? If you have the right hub nut wrench its a breeze. If your doing a brake job, its probly a good idea to take the hub off anyway and inspect the bearings and what not.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And whats all the fuss about taking the hub off anyway? If you have the right hub nut wrench its a breeze. If your doing a brake job, its probly a good idea to take the hub off anyway and inspect the bearings and what not.

haha yeah i guess.i never thought of it like that but if im there even recently,im pulling the hubs anyway to at least inspect wheel bearings.so i suppose it doesn't really matter.was probably better,cus it forced people to inspect and repack their bearings.they often go neglected today.