Full Floater or Semi Floater?

chevytaHOE5674

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it forced people to inspect and repack their bearings.they often go neglected today.

The bearings are "wet" on a FF axle so you don't have to pack them with anything, they are lubed by the gear oil in the axle.

After doing hub work I usually jack up one side at a time for a few minutes to let fresh gear lube find its way into the hubs.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The bearings are "wet" on a FF axle so you don't have to pack them with anything, they are lubed by the gear oil in the axle.

After doing hub work I usually jack up one side at a time for a few minutes to let fresh gear lube find its way into the hubs.

Indeed you are correct....that the bearings are wet...however some of us OLD SCHOOl characters tend to do a light packing of WB grease in the bearings when we inspect them, Especially when you do a fluid change in the diff. Always a good idea IMHO....

IIRC there was some issues with a member whom did not do the WB pack and subsequently had issues siezing a wb....even though the fluid was in the diff.

In essense installing dry bearings is putting preload on bearings with NO LUBE even if you tip your truck...there is minute areas of no lube. I don't like this...I prefer to pack my bearings lightly and add appropriate fluid...IT IS MY WAY/METHOD and may not be appropriate for everyone.

If you do this method cool if not cool....just realize you are responsible for your own choices....

JM2CW

Al