Fuel tank sending unit repair shop

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just stumbled across these folks, don't have any history with them so can't say how good they are but certainly worth having a chat with them.

http://www.tristarrradiator.com/

Whoever makes contact with them and sends in an old sending unit for repair [first guinea pig] let the rest of us know how they treat us old Ford guys.

I've got 4 IDI trucks, with 8 tanks, all have "issues" with the sending units, and Ford parts are apparently made out of "ucan'tgetium" and pricing is "$$$omygodium". If I paid steelership prices for 8 sending units the tab would be about $3000 :backoff..... it ain't happening.-cuss

I plan to chat with these folks about replacement electrical pigtails also. Seems like every tank I have pulled the pigtail is trashed where it plugs into the sending unit.

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
When I installed the HotFox pickup in the front tank of the old truck I made a flange-type to OEM hole adapter plate. Basically, take the old pickup/sender out and cut a sheet SS plate to the same diameter as the one on the OEM. Use an OEM lockring to secure. Now you can just drill out the middle of the plate for whatever size after market pickup you want without having to butcher the tank itself. The HotFox had no sender but it occurred to me that you could use a marine floating magnet type ( if you can get them in the correct Ford resistance range) for the sender and just a tube, 3/8" or 5/16", for the fuel pickup. That would give you a fairly bulletproof setup that would be impervious to corrosion and would cost alot less (I found a sender at West Marine of the correct range for about $50 IIRC). Wish I had pics.

e:These are 240-33ohm, wrong range, we need 10-80ohm I think? :dunno But you get the ideahttp://www.pbsboatstore.com/moeller-reed-switch-sending-units.htm

Last edited:

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
subscribing. Too bad fixing my sender will be the host of a whole new batch of work. Remove bed, wire wheel and paint frame, paint underside of bed. Put back together. Projects...........:rolleyes:

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I expect their prices for repair to be a little high, since they are selling rheostat units only at $75 each.