Fuel System Losing Prime

gabbyr100rs

Reaction score
When parked for over a week in a "nose-up" posture, the truck seems to ingest air. When parked "nose-down" it does not seem to suffer the problem.

Anybody else experience that?? Took a bit of cranking yesterday evening and this morning (batteries on the trickle charger all night) to get it to start. Once the air was purged, it runs as ever.

Air leak somewhere.......:mad:

ericboutin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very interesting...that is exactly what mine was doing...anytime I parked with the nose at an incline I would have to crank and crank. I changed the very old fuel filter and no more problems.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
You've got an air leak somewhere in the system
Fuel filter, hose connections, injector orings, switchover valve, etc etc etc.

-------------Robert

MoonDog

Reaction score
Mine does the same thing. I park nose up in my driveway and deal with it every day, it's better than parking nose down and having rain come in through the holes the PO drilled for air horns. -cuss

I've heard people speak of a fuel return line thats notorious for cracking and letting air in, I just haven't gotten around to replacing it, and don't remember off the top of my head which line it is.

gabbyr100rs

Reaction score
Fuel filter is not that old--replaced it when I renewed the o-ring that seals the connector for the fuel heater on top of the filter head. Will give the filter a gentle tweak and see if that helps.

The fuel lines are five or six years old--something is leaking air alright.....:dunno