Fuel pressure problems, IP may just be ok!

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been fighting a fuel issue with my 86 lately, and besides a few lines that were spitting out into the valley which were changed out with a set on the driver's side and relieved myself a few problems.

NOW!!!!!!

I've been wondering why the truck has been stumbling around even though it starts beautifully (after changing out a faulty FSV) and have been thinking it has been either the IP or injectors either gummed up or stuck, work, whatever! But I had an idea that came to me as I was also working on getting my 89 GMC K1500 going. A while back I noticed that the in tank fuel pump wasn't really pumping, so I put a small tee in the line with a pressure gauge that goes to about 15 psi.

This is the mongrel. It is pretty accurate, on the GMC it shows the 14 PSI needed for the TBI to work, and on the Ford when it is running whether or not I run the fuel through the filters, well I get a bouncy 2 PSI!

So I am imagining I need a new fuel pump. I've always used a mechanical pump, but after considerable thinking and planning, I am going to go with an electrical pump for ease of priming and other purposes. So for now I am going to just get an inexpensive pump from the local auto parts store, and plan on ordering one of those Carrier pumps being sold on this site.

But knowing I don't know it all, I am open for suggestions and opinions on what others think the problem is. OR any suggestions on repairing the truck quickly since I am do to be going out of town tomorrow for work. About a 4 hour drive. I was thinking also of snagging a mechanical lift pump off of my other truck for the moment since I could seriously use the money for the pump, on the trip.

Again, any suggestions?

Attachments

• ZZZZGauge.jpg
    ZZZZGauge.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 41

racin460

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know the feeling every time you want to go some were something fails. id throw the other mec. pump on there/ double check your problem. run it when you get back make other arrangements at that time. because it sounds like you don't have time to get a elec. pump/ wire it up/and have that solid feeling driving 4 hours away from home.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Doing the mechancial pump will be the easy job at this point. then saving the money buying a cheap electric pump can be used to buy the good electric pump. Thats my thoughts. Even make a gasket for the mechanical from most anything. Even just rtv on a clean surface forms a great gasket. We use only rtv on the pan gasket and that wont leak. Same idea the factory used too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert