Fuel Mileage

motoneil

Reaction score
I just replaced the IP with a new Uhaul pump and 8 brand new BB injectors. The IP is static timed with the hash marks lined up. The fuel mileage is horrible, worse than before when I had a leaking IP pump. Any suggestions?

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is the truck smoking at all at idle. Sounds like said above, timing is off still.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It would appear your timing is retarded then. In lue of finding some one with a meter, or an expererienced ear, you could advance it until you find that under hard acceleration, you are getting black smoke. However, there is no substitute for a proper timing job, and advancing it too far will hurt economy and will damage your glow plugs.

bigblue85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is it possible for an idi to sorta come out of timing itself? kinda like how a chain ran timing system can jump timing? although ours are gears??

gatorman21218

Reaction score
yes but over a long period of time. As the IP wears it retards, but we are talking 10s of thousands of miles before you notice it. also fuel pressure from the lift pump can change the timing.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is it possible for an idi to sorta come out of timing itself? kinda like how a chain ran timing system can jump timing? although ours are gears??
Can't see that happening with 'gears' a wore timing chain with a lot of slack can jump a tooth.
As with my timing I would bet, with normal wear on the two gears there is some end-play > thus causing a slightly retarded situation. when (I) installed my Baby Moose which was(my original IP-rebuilt by Mels man) I lined up the scribe marks. Over a year later I finally had Mel properly time it and it was retarded 4-degrees!
Can't say if MPG improved yet but, it leaves the hole a little better.