Fuel Mileage

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are always those freaks of nature tho, and it's only natural that yours (or mine for that matter) ain't gonna be one of them. Oh well, do all you can or deem appropriate to help your girl out, and if she still does poor just live with it, and look on the bright side - she may be a bit thirsty, but she's reliable and cheap to maintain... And yours looks good too, you have no idea how bad I want to see that truck in my driveway ;)

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I see dually, I think 4:10's, and right away my thought is 4:10's do not equal good fuel milage. Perhaps you should do a 4:10's only fuel milage thread for comparison readings.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Well you guys remember Tonka? He had 4.10's then swapped them to 3.08's and he was getting something like 22mpg right? Granted it was a 2wd regular cab (I think) dually. Something to think about.

spencergt66

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm You know i wouldn't mind higher gears but that cost alot of money just for parts i.e bearings gears shims exct. Plus theres 2 axles so i think the easiest and cheapest way to solve the problem is bigger tires and maybe a lift kit :thumbsup: Ive been kicking the ideah around not so much a lift but just the tires cause of the fact that my rear tires are ob their way out so i figure y not right;Sweet

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well you guys remember Tonka? He had 4.10's then swapped them to 3.08's and he was getting something like 22mpg right? Granted it was a 2wd regular cab (I think) dually. Something to think about.

Really? I thought I was the only guy driving an IDI with 3.08s. Nice to know there is at least one more out there.......somewhereLOL

EDIT: going to TALLER tires might help, but it isn't really safe to run wider tires on a dually. Any increase in right height could also negate any gains in reduced RPMs.

Last edited:

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Really? I thought I was the only guy driving an IDI with 3.08s. Nice to know there is at least one more out there.......somewhereLOL

EDIT: going to TALLER tires might help, but it isn't really safe to run wider tires on a dually. Any increase in right height could also negate any gains in reduced RPMs.

Yeah he had a bricknose year F350. ZF-5 speed, it had 4.10 and he put 3.08's in it. Sold it for a 7.3 powerstroke, then sold that for a common rail cummins. I havent seen him around for a while....

spencergt66

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:dunno I wasnt really talking like lifting the truck to the sky I was just thinking of getting some tires a bit taller dont need anything wider thatz for sure as far as lift goes well if any it would just be to clear the tires like maybe 2inches or so dont want to make the truck worthless thats just all an ideah for right now nothing for sure yet going to do some more tinkering with it first to make sure i can get the best mpg with whats there right now parts for the injectors should be here next week was a hair under 100 bucks but then i also have to buy the return line kit the nozzles in the truck now look really old like maybe original:***: we shall see

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The cheapest and easiest way to get better fuel mileage is to keep the rpms low-ish, drive in the thick of the torque band. My Cummins really like to cruise along at 1800-1900, doesn't feel like it's working at all, even when loaded.
Travis..

spencergt66

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so i filled up again today on a tank with almost all back and forth driving just to work and on the freeway with the cruise set @ 62-63mph spinning 2100 rpm and got 14.6 mpg this time :dunno. So i stopped by Napa to get some kinda of additive but I don't like that power service diesel stuff so i kept looking and found some red-line diesel additive and cetane booster we'll see if that helps not too keen on that though @ $7 for 12 ounces anyone else use any kinda of an additive that actually made a difference? Ive also heard of people putting 2 stroke oil in their tank but not sure if that actually does anything?:thanks:

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't spend money on a cetain booster if you are looking to safe fuel cost. Low ash 2 stroke engine oil does help your injection system though (bit cheaper too).

14.6 is getting closer though;Sweet

Have you considered upgrading your turbocharger downpipe?

spencergt66

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Umm I don't think i can get any bigger pipes under the truck I do have a 3" down pipe that goes right in to a 5" :eek: all the way out the back no muffler just 5" mandrill bent all the way out the back

here the vid i took on my last tred

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D48VWmPSVfk

I also have a pretty good sized K&N filter set up on it straight to the turbo so i think the air in and out is pretty good;Sweet

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online

No members online now.