fuel mileage queston

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's the density of WVO? How about the cetane? A change in cetane is going to change combustion timing, right? MPG on WVO is likely to be different than on diesel.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
What's the density of WVO? How about the cetane? A change in cetane is going to change combustion timing, right? MPG on WVO is likely to be different than on diesel.
You think?
"Density" can change by batch. As well as thermal energy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

nj_m715

government's finest
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it has slightly less btu/gal than diesel but it's not even noticeable
I never changed timing or made any other adjustments
and yeah, wvo is a blanket term, things can vary from batch to batch

Jason1377

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a random ? will those running bigger tires but same stock rims have less mpg then those running stock tires/rims, as well as if ur truck is a obs bull/brick etc effect mpg.

Reason I ask anfriend of mine has same make/modle but he added a banks turbo n has the og camper shell on it n get about 5 more mpg then mine n he runs stock rims n 36 inch tires. Should I not get more then him or am I clueless on how that works

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Bigger tire takes more to get going, but will be like having more OD. So on highway would net higher mpg.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

nj_m715

government's finest
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the camper shell might help a little bit too?

I tracked my mileage on google maps from gas station to gas station on a road trip
both times I filled it to the top and rocked the truck to burp any trapped air from the tank
it should have pretty accurate
if he does it that way, it rules out his odometer

YJMike92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got back from a 3500 mile run to the east coast and back. averaged 12 mpg running 75-80 most of the way. Extended cab F350 dually RWD 4/10 gears 7.3 turbo.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Jason1377 If he didn't recalibrate his speedometer or figure in the correction factor his numbers would be invalid anyway so you'll have to figure that out too.
But he must have done some type of correcting or used GPS/actual mileage because larger wheels turn slower. So the ODO/trip meter would turn less, giving you *worse* mileage, not better.

I put slightly larger tires on my Volvo XC90 and it turns out they travel about 5.5% further per rotation that stock. So when I do my mileage calculation I have to multiply by 1.055 to get the actual mileage for MPGs.

OP, my MPGs aren't good... 11ish. But that's with about 40% of my driving with a 4500lb trailer behind me. And the rest of the time is trying to see how many people I can pass without getting pulled over! :D

Now that my up pipes aren't leaking anymore my next tank should be better. It made a huge difference to clean the surfaces and seal it up with copper RTV. Only have a couple hundred miles on it since sealing. Thanks @Thewespaul!

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sold the idi to my father in law a little over a year ago. Pretty much rebuilt everything on that truck and put 3.08’s in the sterling rear end. Rebuilt 6.9 & C6 transmission as well. He’s currently getting an average of 18 mpg. Truck is also a regular cab.
Kinda want it back lol.

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
scripter, who cares about mpg when you're burning wvo? :)

People always ask me that. I guess it comes down to pump time. How much WVO do you want to filter? I want to filter the minimum, so I have more free time and I can stock up for big trips. So that's why I keep eeking out as much MPG as I can.

I do these big roadtrips to the arctic, and we have to pack a lot of the WVO for the journey. There are not a lot of WVO fuel stations along the way. ;) So having a van that gets 13 mpg means on our last 10,000-mile roadtrip, I'd have to bring 170 cubes of oil, which is basically impossible, because the most I've ever loaded up was 108 cubes (about 4300 lbs). Now contrast that to my van getting 17mpg, and I'd only have to bring 130 cubes. That's a 40 cube savings, and a lot less WVO that I'd have to pump through my filters in preparation for the road trip.

Also, It's a lot easier to find fellow greasers that can hook us up with the remaining 22 filtered cubes along the way, than it is to ask for 62 cubes. Asking for 62 cubes is being rather greedy. So I try to make my van as efficient as possible, so I don't burden my fellow greaser buddies spread out across Canada and USA.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My average hwy hwy mpg for the last 60000 miles is 14.2. city always 12.2 my best hwy was 17.8,worst 9 something.

Gr8ful

Reaction score
Just bought a '93 ambulance with a 7.3 IDI 88,000 miles & am getting around 16 at 75 mph on cruise on the 200 mile trip home & about 100 miles around the countryside doing 55-60 mph.

Jesse248

Reaction score
6.9, 5 speed with timing turned up (barely in safe parameters) and 35's getting 18-20 with out trying to have a heavy foot or roll coal.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726