Fuel heater wire to activate electric lift pump relay?

Trikebent

Reaction score
I will be removing/plugging the fuel heater in the fuel filter. Can I use the wire from the fuel heater to turn on the fuel pump relay?

gandalf

Reaction score
I'm not sure that the fuel heater remains on all the while the engine is running. If not, your pump would go off when the fuel heater goes off. That would be very inconvenient.

When I had an electric fuel pump I powered it from the starter relay on the passenger side fender, as I recall, with the fuel shutoff on the IP as the trigger for the relay. In that way the fuel pump would run only when the FSS was powered.

At least that's my recollection without looking under the hood. I have since reverted to a stock mechanical lift pump.

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
I learned the hard way, DO NOT USE starter solenoids. The are NOT constant duty rated. I was having a lot of trouble with starter solenoids, then I just went and bought a constant duty solenoid at napa, and has worked flawlessly since. The solenoid gets power straight off the passenger battery and uses FSS as the trigger wire, then an auxiliary fuse block.

Rock

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used the wire to the IP shutoff solenoid. I’ve seen people run a wire over to the IP to access “key on” 12v, but you can actually access the IP shutoff wire right by the passenger fender. It’s a red wire with a green stripe, and it’s in the thick wire loom that runs right along the passenger fender. Just use a multimeter/test light to verify that you’ve got the right wire. It makes for a much cleaner wiring job than a single extra wire running over to the IP.

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here’s the one you want by the fender (red with green stripe).

Attachments

• BE6B3588-4319-491D-BDD4-51213FB2602F.jpeg
    BE6B3588-4319-491D-BDD4-51213FB2602F.jpeg
    301.8 KB · Views: 20

cbmech

Reaction score
On my 97 when I removed the pump and filter bowl when I did the efuel I used the heater wire to trigger the relay for my electric pump. 2 years, no problems.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can see in the diagram below, the heater circuit is separate, and hot anytime the key is in start or run. It would work. The IP and the temp sensor are on the other circuit which is key-on hot also.

Attachments

• 88286w02.pdf
    37.3 KB · Views: 21

Greenie

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Isn't the fuel heater powered only at low temperatures?

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fuel shut-off solenoid. It’s like so many things, you mention it enough, you just assume everyone else knows what you’re talking about. Maybe someday we need to make a shorthand and acronym glossary.

robert alston

Reaction score
no doubt thanks though mine seems to have turned into a multi year project still learning really thanks

gjabrown

garry
Reaction score
I agree with TNBrett, it is difficult for those of us new to this forum to have to guess at some of the acronyms you old timers use.