Fuel heater plug leaking

DowneyB

Professional
Reaction score
Hey, I gotta question: The fuel heater plug on my fuel filter is leaking fuel when the truck is running. Is there a way to replace just the plug in the head or do I need a new fuel filter head?

Thanks,

Brock

DowneyB

Professional
Reaction score
That would be a relief. I couldn't figure out how it came apart earlier, and I don't have the internet at home. :thanks:

Longesst

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Iirc you take the filter off, there is a nut up in the top of the housing. 1 1/8" maybe? Anyways, a deep socket should make it past the threaded stud. You will push the heater down from the top. Ford says they don't carry the o-ring anymore so I just went to the hardware shop and got a good assortment. Hope this helps, it's been a while since I did mine. Some of these more knowledgable guys can give you specifics if you get stuck.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
It's a special oring, you can get it at International, but ford wont sell one without a whole new filter head.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
True... Only the Navistar International shop will have the o ring... They cost about $2.50 each...

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
I used one from the assortment box at work and it was a tight fit, but sure didn't leak. find an oring thats just barely loose, grease the daylights out of it, and press hard when you push it back through.

just my .02. I will try one from international sometime and see which works better.

punk

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I found the international o-ring part number. Its 18110,53C1. The parts counter will have no problems finding this for you. If they do then they aren't a parts counter person.....:angel: