Fuel heater 93 7.3 idi

boxathey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you guys know of a way to test the fuel heater in the filter housing. I can hook up an amp probe and see what the current draw is. But I'm not sure what the draw is supposed to be . Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Jake_IN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you guys know of a way to test the fuel heater in the filter housing. I can hook up an amp probe and see what the current draw is. But I'm not sure what the draw is supposed to be . Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Ha funny you should post this. I fired my truck up this morning and just for fun through the amp clamp over the wire. Mine was showing either 1.81 or 1.18 amps. Which for the size of the wire running to the heater seems about right to me, but no guarantees. That was this morning with the outside temp about 20 degrees.

Last edited:

boxathey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well, i just checked mine. At first there was 0.00 draw. Found a bad connection. which would explain the rough idleing and exxcesive white smoke at warm up. After fixing the bad connection with engine running i get 3.8 amps. the truck seems to be idleing much better now. time will tell if this was the issue

boxathey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fuel heater is an element that is on top of the filter housing it has one wire going to it. you can only see the terminal from the outside. It turns on with the ignition switch. mine just quit working all together after fixing the loose connection. now its puffing the white smoke again. Im going to have to find a replacement. I think the 1.5 - 2.5 amp draw is correct.

Last edited: