Fuel Gauge Trouble?

Jonjeep

Reaction score
Hi everyone!!

New to the forum. I recently purchased a 1990 F250 4x4 E4OD... I am a huge fan of the 7.3, but this is my first N/A 7.3... I had a

problem recently with the truck rough idling and then dying at stop signs and lights etc; I figured it was air in the fuel return lines and bought a kit at

NAPA ($pendy!!) but I haven't put it on yet... The reason I haven't done this is both times that the truck has stalled on me were times when I was at

1/4 tank of fuel. Are the fuel gauges on this year of F250 typically off 1/4 and was I running out of diesel??? Should I change the fuel return lines

anyway?----- I see no evidence of fuel leakage at any connection or hose... Is a rough idle and then a stall symptomatic of any other part going bad??

I appreciate any input... Wonderful forum!! Thanks to all who contribute!! Jon

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
There is a common problem with the pick up, and when it fails it cuts out at or around 1/4 tank.

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
You have 2 options, live with it, or drop the tank and go with one of our many remedies.
Oh and by the way, welcome to Oilburners!

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Put the truck in your sig, then we don't have to gom back to your orginal post to remember what it is.

The shower head can break off inside the tanks, then less tan a 1/4 tank you'll be sucking air. Gotta drop the tank and extand the pickup hose.

Air intrusion can come from any place in the fuel lines, the hard lines from the lift pump to filter and hard line from filter has what is called "olives" a seal that becomes real hard and can leak air in.

Check on here before buying any parts, could save you some change, maybe even a dollar or two.

Damn, I must be really slow typeing.

And welcome to the OB, you'll learn a lot.

Jonjeep

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick replies!! I had a feeling it had something to do with the tank levels!! I will post a pic of the truck, if I can figure out how to edit my profile. Thanks again!! Jon

DesertBen44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lots of guys do what they call the hose mod in the fuel tank when its dropped, new showerheads are known to fail relatively quickly.

I havent done the hose mod yet but plan to as I have the 1/4 tank blues in both my tanks. I think they just put a hose on the end of the pickup and cut a V in the bottom so it cant suck itself to the wall of the tank. Some guys here have gotten creative and taken it a step further in making good fuel pickups, brake lines with holes in them, metal home built versions of the showerhead, etc. Search for a thread if you feel like doing some reading called got showerhead. Lots of explanations in there

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yes.. These fuel tank pickups usually break off and the last 1/4 tank of fuel can't be sucked up and used. Adding a short length of fuel hose to the 3/8 hard line in the tank will fix that. Read up before you attempt droping either tank. The 1/4 tank of fuel will make it hard to balance and the front tank does not need to be removed for any sender repair like you are going to do. The suction return is all part of the sender unit. Also welcome to the forum...

vanet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it is both tanks, probably easier to pull the bed and work with the tanks then to try and pull both tanks with a 1/4 tank of fuel. Good luck

dsltech83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it is both tanks, probably easier to pull the bed and work with the tanks then to try and pull both tanks with a 1/4 tank of fuel. Good luck
The front tank does not have to be lowered to be fixed. The sender will come out between the tank and bed.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick replies!! I had a feeling it had something to do with the tank levels!! I will post a pic of the truck, if I can figure out how to edit my profile. Thanks again!! Jon

Establishing your signature is very easy. At the top right of any page next to your name, click on "settings". When that page comes up, on the left side there are a bunch of options, choose "signature" and fill in information about your truck. That way when you ask a question, the readers have instant information about what year, engine, transmission, etc. you are referring to.

Adding pictures can be done at the same time you post to the forums, or as part of your avatar or signature.

The showerhead is a plastic part that often gets brittle and falls off of the fuel sender pickup line inside the tank, usually disintegrating and becoming hundreds of tiny plastic parts inside the tank. If it falls off, your fuel supply is limited to about 3/4 of the tank, hence pulling air at 1/4 full showing on the gauge.

The front tank can be serviced with the tank in place. The rear tank has to be dropped from underneath or take off the bed. Many prefer to remove the bed, it is not as tough as it may seem and dropping the tank is no fun at all - I have done it.

Jonjeep

Reaction score
Thanks for the answers!! I will get a picture of my truck posted soon. I just put a different bumper filler and bumper on it!! It looks alot better!!

I plan on pulling the bed and doing the rear tank work, when I get some more time off. Thanks everyone!! Jon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online