Fuel Filter

nmu1974

Reaction score
The replacement cartridge is attached to the bottom of the screw on cover. How do you seperate the two. Is it just pressed onto that little center shaft or should I be trying to unscrew it? 2003 7.3 Excursion. Thanks in advance.

Doggy Daddy

Reaction score
I don't know which series you have; the 94-97s have a plastic clip on either side that snap into 2 slotted holes in the lid. 99 & up aren't usually attached to the cover but there are some aftermarket manufacturers that produce it as a unit. If that is what you have that you are removing I suspect you will need to get a factory lid. If you want to install one of those I'd suggest hanging on to your lid so that you can use a different filter later.

Not sure if that answered your question.

Added in edit: the filter just slides onto the standpipe in the center of the housing. There is a valve in the top of the standpipe that shuts off the fuel if there is no filter in place.

nmu1974

Reaction score
Doggy Daddy said:
I don't know which series you have; the 94-97s have a plastic clip on either side that snap into 2 slotted holes in the lid. 99 & up aren't usually attached to the cover but there are some aftermarket manufacturers that produce it as a unit. If that is what you have that you are removing I suspect you will need to get a factory lid. If you want to install one of those I'd suggest hanging on to your lid so that you can use a different filter later.

Not sure if that answered your question.

Added in edit: the filter just slides onto the standpipe in the center of the housing. There is a valve in the top of the standpipe that shuts off the fuel if there is no filter in place.

Thanks, It's a 2003 7.3 and I just wasn't sure how to seperate it from the standpipe - didn't want to pry off if I should have unscrewed it.

nmu1974

Reaction score
adrianspeeder said:

That was an excellently illustrative post. I read that before I started and tried to follow it but it doesn't seem to be specific as to how you seperate the old filter element from the screw-on cover. Did I miss or am I not seeing something? If not, could you be specific as to if I should expect to just pull/pry it off or does it screw off? I believe mine is just the stock plastic finned cover. BTW - yours is much nicer. Thanks.

FaC

Reaction score
Could you have one of the aftermarket single piece filter where the lid is a part of the assembly? IIRC the stock cap does not go down into the stock racor filter.

I could be full of it because I am just coming up onto a filter change and have not been in there for a while...

FaC

adrianspeeder

USAF C-17 Avionics
Reaction score
nmu1974 said:
That was an excellently illustrative post. I read that before I started and tried to follow it but it doesn't seem to be specific as to how you seperate the old filter element from the screw-on cover. Did I miss or am I not seeing something? If not, could you be specific as to if I should expect to just pull/pry it off or does it screw off? I believe mine is just the stock plastic finned cover. BTW - yours is much nicer. Thanks.

I think you don't have the origional filter type. I remember reading that there were some knock off fuel filters that have a one piece screw in deal and the stock cover would be thrown away.

Adrianspeeder

spg

Big Red
Reaction score
I know the Baldwin replacement fuel filters have the cap attached to the top of the filter. You just replace the whole assembly with them.

nmu1974

Reaction score
Thanks everyone - I replaced the screw on top with an OEM one and it works fine. What I had was some type of aftermarket filter that was indeed one piece.

NVCowboy

Reaction score
I like my Baldwins. Stock cap is in my toolbox just in case. Using a 1/2" drive ratchet to remove the filter is so much easier than fighting the stock cap.

jvencius

Reaction score
NVCowboy said:
I like my Baldwins. Stock cap is in my toolbox just in case. Using a 1/2" drive ratchet to remove the filter is so much easier than fighting the stock cap.

Taking off the stock cap isn't a big deal if you have the right tools. Two pairs of pliers will work, but I made a fuel filter cover wrench out of a piece of 2" PVC pipe. I cut slots in one end that fit over the ribs in the stock cover and with that tool, the cap twists right off. Plus, I used a piece of scrap PVC I had laying around so it didn't cost me anything.

Ramprat

Inside your OODA
Reaction score
Not to mention the aftermarket caps seem to leak & not seal like the stock ones.

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
jvencius said:
Taking off the stock cap isn't a big deal if you have the right tools. Two pairs of pliers will work, but I made a fuel filter cover wrench out of a piece of 2" PVC pipe. I cut slots in one end that fit over the ribs in the stock cover and with that tool, the cap twists right off. Plus, I used a piece of scrap PVC I had laying around so it didn't cost me anything.

That's a great idea. My OBS fuel filter cap is removed by using a stubby screwdriver and a hammer to gently tap it loose.

jvencius

Reaction score
hheynow said:
That's a great idea. My OBS fuel filter cap is removed by using a stubby screwdriver and a hammer to gently tap it loose.

I wish I could say that I came up with that idea, but I didn't. I read it on the net someplace (probably back on Ford-Diesel.com) but can't remember where and so I can't properly credit the person who came up with that one.

NVCowboy

Reaction score
I always sensed a predjudice towards the filters with the aftermarket tops on this site and TDS, but no one would ever admit WHY they did not like them. It was just the stock filter or Racor is better, and thats the end of it. If you dont eat your meat, you cant have any pudding. :D Finally, someone says the aftermarket tops leak. ITHANK YOU for finally giving up the problem. Its all going to hinge on how well my homade remove the stock filtertop tool works out for me. At least I had the sense to keep my stock fuel filter top.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Staff online

Members online