Frustrating morning - Truck dies at every stop...

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
This morning I took off from home to trek my way to work. I left later than usual, so of course that means my 25 mile commute will end up taking closer to an hour and a half. :rolleyes:

First stoplight I come to, I push the clutch down and... truck dies.
Starts right back up.
Next stoplight I come to... yep, you guessed it... truck dies.
Starts right back up.

This little game continues pretty much the whole way to work. In stop and go traffic nonetheless. :puke: As a result of moving the right hand from the gear shift, to the coffee cup, to the ignition switch, I dumped a "significant quantity" of coffee on myself this morning as well...

If I keep it in gear until right before the stop, engine keeps running. I've got the idle set a little high because I've got one injector that doesn't match the rest (7 new BB injectors from typ4, and one old injector, since I had one get carboned up and stuck in the hole on the 7.3 I pulled out)

The IP is a Uhaul unit with about 8,000 miles on it, I swapped it over to the 6.9 about two months ago, and it's ran good since then.

So, can one injector that doesn't match the rest cause this? It idles kind of rough as it is, the DMF makes noise because of it.

Or is my terrific Uhaul IP got one foot in the grave? :mad:

Black dawg

Reaction score
probably just sticky metering valve. I had a 6.2 that would do this once a year, a big overdose of powerservice would cure it.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
Fill fuel filter with cleaner( power service silver bottle or ATF or other cleaner) start truck and let run for 20 seconds. Shut down and let sit for half hr or longer. Start motor and rev up halfway and let return to idle a few times. Should clear it up

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would go with both recommendations...overdoes PS in the tanks AND pour a pure PS shot into a new fuel filter.

I had a similar problem with my truck a few years back; best I can tell, it was a bad tank of fuel. After it happened a couple of times (and I had other fuel system issues with my M-B that seemed to happen only after fueling up at Shell stations), I stopped using Shell fuel.

BTW, if you have to commute over the 17, my condolences...but, at least (hopefully) you didn't have to go north on the 17 last night. Even at 23:00 it was backed up for miles due to a lane being shut down to replace a power pole :shocked: I had to take a pax to Aptos and ended up just taking Highway 1 all the way up to Half Moon Bay and took the 92 to San Mateo to drop the car off :shocked:

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
I was going north last night, as a matter of fact... :puke:

I was trying to run over to Towcats, drop off the 7.3... took an hour to get from scotts valley to the summit, at which point I turned around and headed home! cookoo

I saw the power pole debacle... idiots! cookoo

Update - This morning I did run to Winchester and picked up a bottle of power service and a new filter. Filled the filter, ran the engine for twenty seconds as recommended... Just took the truck out for a drive, problem seems to be gone. ;Sweet

Thanks!

Maverick1701

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear the problem has been solved.

What actually happens to cause this? Does the metering valve cake up with fuel crud? And then the PS washes it all out?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
water in fuel was the culprit on this one. doesn't happen often in kali due to pretty stringent fuel standards, but it can happen every now and then.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online