front F450 leaf springs different from F350 ??

912504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am in the market for a set of leaf springs that are not sagging down like mine are now in the front. I would like to not need helper springs anymore.
I was thinking that if I stuck a set of used F450 springs in there maybe I would even see 3-4 inches of lift on my truck.
My questions.
How long are F450 springs eye to eye?
Where is the spring in relation to the rear eye?
How much lift am I going to see from this?
How wide are the 450 springs at the mounting points?
Has anyone else tried this & Do you have any pictures if so?
Should I just stick a brand new pair of F350 springs in there and forget it?
Does anyone have any better/cheaper suggestions?

p.s. on another note.
I also found a company that makes lift springs from 1" to 22" in 1" increments if anyone is looking for something like that.

Thanks, Eric

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
they are different.i believe they are longer.i think the bolts for them are also a different size

912504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can anyone with a F450 measure their spring width and length for me?
Also measure where the centering pin is located in relation to one end or the other of the spring.
That way I can cross this idea off my list and move on to something else. ;Sweet

I have found several different pairs of used front lift springs but after shipping is added my ****** puckers big time.

Thanks, Eric

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if i can find my tape measure and it aint raining ill measure mine in the morning

912504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
something else I just thought of

I forgot to ask if the 450 springs are a true flat spring or do they have a little bit of a curve to them. If you placed an immaginary tight string from center to center of the mounting points how far under the string is the bottum of the leaf spring? This measurement will determine what amount of rise the springs will most likely give my truck approximately. :Sly

Thanks for checking for me. Hopefully it stops raining :thumbsup:

Thanks again, Eric

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok somebody over on the other site answered your first question.the springs have a good arch to them.my f450 sits a few inches higher then my F350.

from the top of my frame rail to the top of the spring is about 16 1/4",with the imaginary string its about 4-4 1/2"

912504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you Thank you Thank you!!

That is awesome. :hail
The way I measure it up that will equal about 4-1/2 to 5" of lift in the front of my truck. I wonder how I will gain that much in the rear without stacking blocks. I guess I could stack leafs instead. Man thats going to take a few leafs to add up to 4-1/2 inches :D
I guess that the ride will have to suffer a bit but what the heck. Hey, I wonder if I could get lucky and be able to use the f450 rear springs on my truck also. I dont know if they are the same length or not but I bet they have some extra leaves and some good arch also.

Did ford ever make a single wheel F450 4x4?? :draw :D :Sly ;Sweet

Thanks again for the measurements. Huge help.
Eric

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
to answer your question on the other site.the rear leafs are 3" wide.my springs packs have 8 leaves in them.the f450s leaf is alot thicker than yours.i also have the HD leafs in mine wich have the same amount of leaves as stock but the leaves are about twice as thick.unless you want a seriously hard ride i wouldnt put a set of f450 springs in your truck,front or rear.ever ride in one?i do everyday.the rear springs on an f450 dont have much of an arch.our spring hangers are different than a regular pickup.if you need some measure ments of the rear springs let me know.or if you want some better pictures than what i have attached let me know and ill see if i can get some in the morning

Attachments

• truck 263.jpg
    truck 263.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 9
  • truck 264.jpg
    truck 264.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 6

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
oh and heres a few pictures of the truck and you can click the link in my signature for more pictures of it ;Sweet

Attachments

• truck 252.jpg
    truck 252.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 8
  • truck 253.jpg
    truck 253.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hey rich-
while you are in picture taking mood, grab a shot of the spring brackets. Another item to consider is mounting these springs. the stockers are stamped steel and are a little on the narrow side if you want to put in the F450 springs. the F450's have cast or forged spring brackets, so you will need to fit those up too.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if thats the case he wont be able to use the f450 springs.if hes gonna need the brackets for the front those wont work either as the f450s springs are 1/2" wider from edge to edge than a regular pickup and i believe the rear is the same way.i was lookning into converting my f350to the f 450 front end for a future 4WD conversion.figured iduse the f450 spring hangers and everything since i have it all on a parts truck but it wont work.

912504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm lost now.

Somewhere in all that above I got lost :confused:
Let me know if these are true.
The F250 springs are 3" wide.
The F450 springs are 3" wide.
The F350 springs are narrower than 3" wide. (maybe just duallys)?

Unless the springs get wider at the mounting bracket then I should be in good shape for the swap. ;Sweet
I figured I might need to Frankenstein the front leaf pack a little bit to make the ride a little bit softer than factory F450 stuff.
Maybe I will have to break down and buy a rear pack that will have the correct amount of lift so that I dont need any blocks at all. Well that will shoot the whole "only F450 4x4" idea in the foot a little bit. LOL!!

Maybe I should get over it and just buy the F350 springs so I dont have to fool with the rear at all. Its like everything else I do. I allways end up wishing I would have just spent the money to do the right thing first instead of spending even more money to do the wrong thing over and over. :D

Thanks again, Eric

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
92-97 F350 srw and drw have 3"rear springs.the f450s always had 3" springs front and rear.91-olderF350s i belive had 2 1/2" springs as did the F250s.its been a while ive messed with them.my 95 dually has 3" springsbut if you need to mess with the spring hanger to get the F450 spring on its not gonna work as the spring mounting is either wider or narrower then a regular pickup.you wont have a 4x4 f450 when your done either unless you run the 10 lug rear end with the ebrake on the tranny and somehow get 10 lugs on the front and even then your GVW will only be that of an F350 unless you swapcabs or VIN numbers to that of an F450

snatchal

Reaction score
My 91 F-350 4x4 has 3" wide springs in front and rear. This thing rides rough when empty. I can't imagine putting heavier springs on it.