Front Dana 60 seals

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
This is in reference to my 2003 but I figure axles are fairly similiar through the years and I know who to listen to over here!!!

On my front dana 60 I noticed on both sides the spindle seals (rubber ring that seals the axle from the elements)

were loose and not holding out moisture.

I have also noticed recently that I have a front vibration along with a low pitched hum on deceleration somethimes.

1. How impostant are those seals?
2. Could the hum be associated?

Any thoughts are welcome.

And of course I am in the middle of a move and don't have access to my tools since they are 600 miles away.

thanks
Thad

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
most likely un related. check the rear ujoints and pinion, sounds loose.

HiHorse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those seals were a good idea, however they don't tend to stay in place. They simply keep debris out of the axle tubes. Also they are not related to a noise or vibrations. Almost every SD that comes through my shop has them out of place.

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
I checked all the u joints and the only play that I can find is a very slight amount of lateral play in the front drive shaft but it seems normal.

The intermittent vibration is felt most at low speeds ie under 15-20 mph and shakes the truck a little (tires?).

Then there is an intermittent growling noise/hum under deceleration.

Not sure why the vibration would be intermittent. It might be easier to diagnose if it was consistent. I plan to take it by my local mechanic to take a peak at. He has been honest and reliable but he is always busy. I also am going to rotate the tires and balance them. Its only been a few thousand miles but what the heck.

thanks
Thad

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
Part of my problem is vacuum related. I ended up putting in some Warn manual hubs to avoid further issues with the vacuum ones. I just capped the A/C portion and the rest of the vacuum system will be out tomorrow.

We'll see if any of this was responsible for the vibrations....

Thad

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online