FRONT BRAKE PAD QUESTIONS

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been looking at front brake pads, just getting an idea of how much money a little front axle maintenance is going to cost.

I shouldn't have looked; because, now I am confused.

I have always simply told the parts man the year and make of my truck and he hands me a box, they fit, they work, no problem.

Looking at various websites, I see two seperate part numbers for my truck in various brands of brake.

The difference between the two is that one says "application where OE disc pad has staked on noise shim" and the other does not say this.

I don't have any idea what a "staked on noise shim" is, nor do I know if my truck has, or ever had, them.

What are they meaning by this??

Now another question, are the Bendix Fleet pads worth twice as much as any of the others??

The Bendix are $62, while most everything else is around $20 to $35.

Thanks.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bendix fleet pads made my truck not hit the idiot who pulled out in front of me when I was loaded for a BIG camping trip, The premium napa pads would not have stopped me. Of course I about pushed the pedal thru the floor . My kids thought we were going to flatten that car. Delco fleet pads are also good , a buddy who maintains cabs says they last longer and stop better in heated situations.
my 2c

Mont91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The staked on noise shim is a little metal tab riveted on that touches the rotor when the pads are wore out and makes a nasty noise to tell you to check your pads. If you pull or haul, especialy in steep country, get the good pads. They really show their value in less fade and shorter stopping distance when loaded.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828