Front f350 brake pads

bigrick460

Reaction score
Got my rear brakes done and now I've moved to the front of the truck. Calipers were stuck so I got 2 remanufactored ones and new pads. Problem is the outside edge of the pad sticks outside the rotor about 1/16 to 1/8 inch. Got a second set of pads, same thing. Thought maybe caliper was off so I stuck the old brake pads back up there with the new caliper. Perfect. Any one run into this before? Been about 12 years since I've had to do anything to the brakes on this thing.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Is the pad shifted on the backing? Or just oversize?

Does the caliper sit in the same place? IIRC, the pre 95 dual-pistons don't have the most accurate mounting. Could be made worse by several cycles of rust and sandblasting (remans) or new jobber castings/machining.

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I noticed something similar on my current set of NAPA Fleet-sumpin pads but I'm just running them and they stop fine.

bigrick460

Reaction score
I first thought the calipers may be cast wrong, but old pads fit them perfect. I did replace them 12 plus years ago when I got the truck.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
BigRick.

Not sure what year or model you have. But in 88’ they made two different brake sets for the front based on the towing capacity I believe. It was like a 6,600 lb rating or 8,800 lb. I find it odd my truck is a 1988 F250 with a C6, which Ford rated as higher rated for towing than the manual version.

My point is maybe your truck also had two options or was made in a tweener year when the first part of the year it got a and the second half of the year got b. So perhaps you are getting pads for a different size brake system and your vendor does not know this or is not seeing that option. Or going up or down a year will get you the right ones.

Just guessing so take with a grain of salt.

Last edited:

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Are you sure the new pads aren't made wrong somehow? A set of high quality riveted brake shoes I bought were made wrong and wouldn't ride right on the upper part. Sadly, I put off putting them on for 6 months so I was out the money since I couldn't return them to Amazon. I think I contacted the manufacturer about the defect, but never got a reply. I ended up getting budget bonded shoes from O'Reilly instead and they didn't have the defect. Those have a lifetime warranty too and can be returned anywhere in the country.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
BigRick.

Not sure what year or model you have. But in 88’ they made two different brake sets for the front based on the towing capacity I believe. It was like a 6,600 lb rating or 8,800 lb. I find it odd my truck is a 1988 F250 with a C6, which Ford rated as higher rated for towing than the manual version.

Good point. Many years of Chevy and dodge have two slightly different calipers/pads depending on the 3/4ton gvwr or gawr.

I did hastily swap a D60 into a D44-equiped 90 F250. The calipers stayed plumbed to the truck and fit the 60 like a glove. I wouldn't have noticed a slight misalignment of the pads; everything worked fine.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
BigRick.

But in 88’ they made two different brake sets for the front based on the towing capacity I believe. It was like a 6,600 lb rating or 8,800 lb. I find it odd my truck is a 1988 F250 with a C6, which Ford rated as higher rated for towing than the manual version.

My 87 F250 has an 8800lb GVWR, maybe due to the full floating rear end (Sterling) and what looks like beefier leaf springs. It has a C6 also.

You must be registered for see images attach

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
The low-gvwr f250s most often had a semi-float rear axle... also normally the 4.9 or 5.0L engine.

bigrick460

Reaction score
With all the f250 and 350 I have has and worked on over the years, I never had this problem until now. Have ordered another set of pads more specific to my build date, 07-91. Maybe this will work this time