Friends burning up passenger side window motors.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
I've been going through passenger side motors. I notice my friends that ride shotgun always bump up or down the windows with their knee. I noticed the other day after I dropped off my friend the window wouldn't go up. Then I realized it, he probably had his knee on it for over an hour and stripped it. Any ideas how I can put "friend locks" on it?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Well you could put a toggle in to cut power to it.
Or transplant on of the newer style switches with the window lock built in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
can you unplug the switch on the passengers side? If they want the window down you can do it from your side.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
If you unplug it, it'll lose power iirc. I was thinking trying to make a lockout switch. I've never bumped the switches, but my friends can't stay away from them...the brick nose switches are in a terrible spot.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Tell friends to ride in the back from now on. You could design a metal cover plate and velcro it over the switch too. Then if you don't like the looks it comes off easy. Or just cover it completely and screw the passengers. You can operate it from the drivers side fine. Why are the friends riding spread legged like that anyway...

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
Hahaha! That's what the back seat is for.... I'm not sure what they're doing, I've never hit the switch on mine or the passenger side.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It shouldn't be to hard to do that. Most newer cars have a lock out. What I'm not sure about is the direction the power comes from. I dug around in my door pictures but they are no help. Dig up a wiring diagram and we can see how hard it would be.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
I know one feeds to the passenger side and the driver side plug has the wire in it. I had to run a jumper on my 97 because the pass switch didn't work. Just have to hook a switch on the driver side to cut power to the switch.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A nice rocker switch mounted next to the window buttons should do the trick then.

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just disconnect the LB/BK at the passenger switch and that will disable just that switch from working and the drivers side will do it all still

You must be registered for see images attach

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online