"FREE" mods for 92' IDI

noahz

92 F250 idi
Reaction score
I need some thoughts on what I can do to my truck for more power and better milage. Since its a 92 there are NO performance parts for it.. So anything helps!!!

PowerbyFord

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like anything else, open up the intake, open up the exhaust. Look up the soup bowl mod on here, to open your air cleaner up.

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
The closest to free or cheap mods is going to a ram air intake. There are tons of posts on those!

Inexpensive mods are going to be exhaust and proper gears.

High end is going to be a turbo.....but you already know that by now!! lol

Just trying to help....

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
So this might help the OP as well so I'll put it here. I hear a lot of mentions of a "restrictor plate." Neither my old or new engine have anything resembling this blocking the intake that I can see. Can someone give a detailed description or post a picture?

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
So this might help the OP as well so I'll put it here. I hear a lot of mentions of a "restrictor plate." Neither my old or new engine have anything resembling this blocking the intake that I can see. Can someone give a detailed description or post a picture?

think that's the earlier style before the soup bowl, but i'm not 100% on that..

-Jon

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
The one I just yanked was the original from 83 I'd guess and it had neither

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
on mine the "throat" of the air cleaner is the size of the intake opening. i saw one at the junkyard (don't remember if it was an E or F-series) that the throat was smaller then the opening of the intake. guess that's the restrictor plate.

-Jon

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
Ohh I thought it was in the intake. I have a 14" edelbrock setup so thats a moot point

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I've got my pump turned up one and a half flats. It makes a little difference, but not a whole lot. I have no pyro, so I NEVER run the truck on the highways where it has teh chance to burn holes in the pistons. I stick to city streets, and back roads where the limit is about 60 - 70 km/h. Until I have a pyro, I am not going to chance it.

A PSD exhaust is going to be a good upgrade. It's larger pipe and IIRC it's factory stainless. It's not free but you can find one cheap on a smashed truck or from someone doing an upgrade.

Get the truck timed right, by someone who knows what they are doing...it's not free but makes a difference.

Free in this day and age is a hard thing to come by, but cheap isn't. If you have the tools, then a lot of this work can be done at home if you know what you are doing.

mj05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does his year have that restriction in the grille? I'll bet cutting that rubber piece offwould help airflow quite a bit! (and it's free!) When you guys removed the soupbowl, did you actually notice a performance/ mileage difference or is it one of those "intangibles" that works but not too noticeable?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online