Frame on? Resto?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
You could do that or you could try it out first and order them later if needed. Another thing is to be sure to wire them so that they are running when the A/C is on.

Ilovelamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could do that or you could try it out first and order them later if needed. Another thing is to be sure to wire them so that they are running when the A/C is on.
I bought a mishimoto fan controller that has a sensor that goes into the block, I guess I'll drive it first and see

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
The reason to have them on when AC is on is to keep air moving over the condenser while sitting still. If not, high head pressure results with failed compressor, blown hoses or vented Freon at the pressure relief. Medium duty and big rig trucks use a pressure switch to turn on fan when head pressure is high. Usually a trinary switch.

Ilovelamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The reason to have them on when AC is on is to keep air moving over the condenser while sitting still. If not, high head pressure results with failed compressor, blown hoses or vented Freon at the pressure relief. Medium duty and big rig trucks use a pressure switch to turn on fan when head pressure is high. Usually a trinary switch.
Good lord. Maybe I should wire in a bypass switch in the truck for summer time running.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
What I'm going to do is splice into the power wire at the compressor plug. I'll install a diode into that wire so that the compressor won't be turned on by the fans activating in non A/C weather.

Ilovelamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What I'm going to do is splice into the power wire at the compressor plug. I'll install a diode into that wire so that the compressor won't be turned on by the fans activating in non A/C weather.
I'd like to see a write up on that if you get a chance!

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That will be sufficient once it’s studded and has the 6.9 headgaskets, I believe it’s led foot racing that makes an aluminum fan shroud for electric fans. Might be 2 14” or 12” fans in that setup

Ilovelamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That will be sufficient once it’s studded and has the 6.9 headgaskets, I believe it’s led foot racing that makes an aluminum fan shroud for electric fans. Might be 2 14” or 12” fans in that setup
Awesome, didn't know anyone already made one! Speaking of you, I was just trying to find a picture of your an valve covers installed do you have a picture of them installed?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They can be used as a road draft tube, I prefer to run them into a good quality catch can/oil separator like Moroso, with a single -12 feed into the suction side of the turbo out of the separator. It drops the gas temp down significantly coming into the intake, and reduces your oil consumption.

Ilovelamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They can be used as a road draft tube, I prefer to run them into a good quality catch can/oil separator like Moroso, with a single -12 feed into the suction side of the turbo out of the separator. It drops the gas temp down significantly coming into the intake, and reduces your oil consumption.
Alright, sounds good. I've got a new catch can laying around here, thanks man

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually used to run my truck every winter with the fan removed. Made a measurable difference in urban MPGs due to a more efficient warmup cycle. The fan clutch always hangs on when it's cold and then gradually releases as it warms up. It's been so long that I worked the truck hard that I don't even know what it sounds like when it engages under high temperature. For this reason alone, I prefer some kind of electric control (electric fans or at least an electric actuated fan clutch).

Ilovelamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually used to run my truck every winter with the fan removed. Made a measurable difference in urban MPGs due to a more efficient warmup cycle. The fan clutch always hangs on when it's cold and then gradually releases as it warms up. It's been so long that I worked the truck hard that I don't even know what it sounds like when it engages under high temperature. For this reason alone, I prefer some kind of electric control (electric fans or at least an electric actuated fan clutch).
That's part of the reason I'm doing it

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yeah it's really fun when you've got the truck idling in 90 degree weather and all the sudden you hear "pfft, pfft, pfft" repeatedly while the truck looks like it's on fire and fills the cab with whatever kind of smoke or vapor that was. Smells nasty too! That was with the factory fan so I'd imagine it would have been worse with none! I thought the truck caught fire at first, then I saw the oil spray from the high pressure relief valve all over the compressor.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01