Foxbody style turbo setup 6.9IDI

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
make sure you put those batteries in a sealed case that vents outside of the cab, if they overheat the fumes can kill you....

6D9N24/7

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, I was thinking of using two of the plastic boat style battery tubs, and I have an aluminum diamond plate bed toolbox that I may use instead of the behind the seat idea, just to be safe. Hopefully tonight I can make some headway with the battery relocation and start my mechanical lift pump delete, and belt drive vaccum pump delete. My truck is definitely not a beauty queen, but when I open the hood I want it to be a jaw dropper.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Get ahold of Stan's headers & Mufflers in Auburn, Washington. They are the ones who make the headers and might be willing to sell you just the flanges. They are pretty thick and should never warp. They should help you. I think they look better than the manifolds too.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
He has flanges, just wants to cut the flanges off some premade headers and use his r&d ones.

But the stans would save time. Or even just the diy weld your own kit.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I often wondered if a 460 long tube header could be modified to fit these engines. If the flanges could be cut off and matched up to the diesel flange. The 460 is wide like the diesel, don't know about the height in the truck. But I would think it would be the best chance for a fit for the N/A guys.

I would not think long tubes would do you any good for your front turbo idea would it?

6D9N24/7

Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys its always great to hear ideas from other people when doing a custom fab like this. The R&D flanges are 3/8" thick so they should work well. The 460 headers and BBC header spacing look like they should be close, I will let you guys know tmr morning when I go parts store hopping and start gasket matching. Next is to pick out what header style will fit the best and at the same time be functional for maintenance and ease of install and removal, while out flowing the big 3 kits!

Thanks again guys and keep the ideas coming!

6D9N24/7

Reaction score
I dont think the longtubes would work. Crossmember would be in the way and I think they would protrude too far forward to continue the up pipes. Shorty headers or the central collector block huggers would probably be my best bet. Trying to keep it a 3 piece design, 2 headers with vband clamps connecting the crossover/ y pipe together.

6D9N24/7

Reaction score
Good news guys I just got back from the parts store with the 6.9 exhaust manifold gaskets and layed them over top of a set I have lying around for a BBC. The port spacing is EXACTLY the same, just the BBC ports are a hair bigger, like a 32nd lip around the port when layed over the 6.9 gaskets. BBC headers will work PERFECTLY with a flange swap!

Pictures will be up soon unfortunately I have a road service call at a nearby scale house for a carnival ride trailer needing brake shoes and airbags, so project is put on hold for a few minutes. Be back shortly.

6D9N24/7

Reaction score
Ok I just found this online, and it would kill 2 birds with one stone. It is a BBC fuel pump block off plate from moroso (summit part no. 65398) that has a 12AN fitting built in for oil drain back and since I am converting to an electric pump, and going turbo it will work perfect. Even more so since I will be mounting the turbo where the passenger side battery was.

Also these are the headers I will be ordering as well, they are shorty's for a BBC from hedman, looks like they will clear the cross member ok, but time will tell... not bad for $180

Attachments

• mor-65398_w_ml.jpg
    mor-65398_w_ml.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 4
  • headman block hugger.jpg
    headman block hugger.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 4

6D9N24/7

Reaction score
Here are pics to show just how perfect the ports are lined up between the 6.9 (silver gasket) and BBC (black gasket)

Attachments

• IMG_0300i.jpg
    IMG_0300i.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0299i.jpg
    IMG_0299i.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

6D9N24/7

Reaction score
Here are some pictures of my rig as of early today, so you guys can get some good before and after looks at the truck... but sorry, no dyno numbers,:dunno maybe I will break down and go do some runs just to see what kind of difference I will achieve.

Notice the crooked front bumper lol need to tighten up the drivers side bolts tmr. ;Sweet
And I have a new brake master cylinder just slackin and haven't put it on yet...

Attachments

• IMG_0311i.jpg
    IMG_0311i.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0304i.jpg
    IMG_0304i.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0305i.jpg
    IMG_0305i.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0306i.jpg
    IMG_0306i.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0307i.jpg
    IMG_0307i.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0308i.jpg
    IMG_0308i.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 28

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are pics to show just how perfect the ports are lined up between the 6.9 (silver gasket) and BBC (black gasket)

So, the diesel has the holes that are diagonal, and the chevy is the straight across bolt holes correct? If the headers had enough metal in the correct areas,, could you re-drill the header and use the chevy flange? If you had to you could weld some of the holes shut on the chevy flange and re-drill?

6D9N24/7

Reaction score
The diesel gasket is the silver one with the straight across bolt holes. re-drilling the BBC flange may be an option but I have a feeling getting the holes all lined up correctly may be an issue, and getting it in the drill press may be a pain. I might just drill 2 "easy to get to holes" out of the BBC flange for mock up purposes, then I could check the flange clearance and fitment on the truck and see if it may be an option.

My original plan was to leave like 1/8" of BBC flange around the pipes, instead of just cutting them off, that would ensure a good flat surface to mate the two flanges together with and some meat to let the welds really bite.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7