Found Timing @ 10.5 Degrees

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yeap.... I just thought it sounded advanced but the last time I checked it I only found 9 degrees advanced.... So I moved it back to 9 degrees and it runs smoother and the cackle is much less. The rpms seem to run up quicker too. I need to haul horses about 153 miles tomorrow so I will be watching everything as usual and the report will be done.....:D

Fozz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the spec is 8.5 or 8 (+/- 2) for the pulse-type method so you're in, but at the high end. I just set mine at 3.5 with the luminosity method, seems to run the best there. I need to hook up the 5'r and run the local grade when I get a chance to really see how it's running. That will determine if I need to investigate a new/rebuilt ip or not.

Drive safe....
Foz

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I didn't have an issue then with it. The 360 mile drive home felt fine. After I dropped off the horses at the show on Wednesday it sounded kinda loud driving home unloaded. So I just was getting nosey looking for something to be wrong so I had something to "fix" and I found something....:D I'm really looking forwards to the test tow tomorrow. Then I can compare the heat and fuel mileage along with performance.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeap.... I just thought it sounded advanced but the last time I checked it I only found 9 degrees advanced.... So I moved it back to 9 degrees and it runs smoother and the cackle is much less..../
Just curious as to where about your scribe mark was located a 10.5 and 9 degrees.

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it would be pretty difficult to get my pump rotated to 10.5 degrees timing. It takes two men and a boy on the wrench to get it anywhere close to 8.5 degrees.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I think it would be pretty difficult to get my pump rotated to 10.5 degrees timing. It takes two men and a boy on the wrench to get it anywhere close to 8.5 degrees.
If you're having trouble adjusting a pump. loosen all the lines at the injectors, then turn the thing, that will make it easier to turn, and if that doesn't giv it enough throw to move comfortably without stressing the lines, loosen the lines at the pump as well and it will swivel no problem.
I know 8.5 is the spec, but with the new fuel, you won't have any power and you will have terrible fuel mileage at 8.5

Smokey73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what's the easiest way to time these things. I've just always done it by ear, but on the latest i.p. swap I can't quit get it right, it runs good but is a little hard to start.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know 8.5 is the spec, but with the new fuel, you won't have any power and you will have terrible fuel mileage at 8.5

Can you elaborate? How much would you compensate for the ULSD and in what direction?

I seem to remember being over this before, but I don't remember the answer.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
what's the easiest way to time these things. I've just always done it by ear, but on the latest i.p. swap I can't quit get it right, it runs good but is a little hard to start.

Easiest way is to buy a ferret With that and a regular advance type inductive automotive timing light you can time the thing properly, either that or maybe you live near someone who has one.
I've got one of the things, but for what you'd spend in fuel to drop by for a free timing session from there, you could probably buy what you need.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Can you elaborate? How much would you compensate for the ULSD and in what direction?

I seem to remember being over this before, but I don't remember the answer.

Try about 9.7 deg BTDC by the pulse method ( advance it roughly 1.2 deg ), and that brings the power and the fuel mileage back

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try about 9.7 deg BTDC by the pulse method ( advance it roughly 1.2 deg ), and that brings the power and the fuel mileage back

I'd love to try but all i can do is time by ear and see how it runs since I never had any timing tools for my truck (maybe I should do something about thatLOL:rolleyes:)

Was curious in more of an academic sense, but I'll keep that in mind, thanks;Sweet.

David94IDIT

Reaction score
I recently purchased a Ferrett adapter and a timing light. This is the first time I've ever used a timing light. I got the light flashing but all I have is a line with a zero. There is no other referance to any other number. I figure if there was a 5 or a 10 with a line i could adjust accordingly. Or I could be all wrong and the light should be flashing at when the line on the balancer is at zero. Please educate me.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I recently purchased a Ferrett adapter and a timing light. This is the first time I've ever used a timing light. I got the light flashing but all I have is a line with a zero. There is no other referance to any other number. I figure if there was a 5 or a 10 with a line i could adjust accordingly. Or I could be all wrong and the light should be flashing at when the line on the balancer is at zero. Please educate me.

Did you get an advance type timing light, or just a timing light?. It sounds like you got a regular timing light without the advance feature. An advance type timing light has an adjustable advance setting on it, either a dial or on the fancy ones a digital up and down arrows to adjust the preset on the timing light. You pre set the timing light to where you want your timing reading to be ( i.e. 8.5 deg or 9.7 deg ) and then fire up the engine and have a helper hold the throttle at 2000 rpms then point the timing light at the 0 line and if timed correctly, the line should match up, if it is reading before, your timing is too far advanced and you need to adjust the pump , as in retard the timing, if the reading is too far retarded, you need to advance the timing