Found this interesting ford document...

Alan Slingsby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats a lot of nice info to have thanks a lot! not to get off subject but whats this 4.5 Diesel engine? never heard of it,was it not offered in the United States

mohavewolfpup

Diesel Wolf Puppy
Reaction score
thats a lot of nice info to have thanks a lot! not to get off subject but whats this 4.5 Diesel engine? never heard of it,was it not offered in the United States

It was. here you go: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Navistar_VT_engine

"A variant of the VT365 is the VT275 4.5 L V-6, which is basically a 6.0 L V-8 with two cylinders chopped off. However, it uses a sequential twin-turbocharger system, instead of the single variable-geometry turbocharger used in the VT365. It is used in the 2006 Ford LCF (Low Cab Forward) and International CF (Cab Forward) (later CityStar) series trucks. It produces 200 hp (150 kW) and 440 lb·ft (597 N·m) of torque and is backed by a Ford TorqShift 5 speed automatic.

For the 2007 model year, the VT275 was brought up to 2007 EPA emissions standards and renamed the MaxxForce 5.

It has since been discontinued for the 2010 model year."

http://www.busbeetruckparts.com/man...rucks/ford-vt275-replacement-engine-2006-2008

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images

Alan Slingsby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya then id have to have the ranger also lol..just an idea to dream about along with my heated garage and all tools needed wow im bored where is spring at -cuss getting cabin fever already

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that sucker wouold be saweet stuffed into a ford ranger :sly thanks for the info to bad it wasnt in production long
IIRC they originally designed the engine with the intent to offer it in the F-150...but, the problems with the 6.0l soured the relationship to the point where Ford abandoned the idea. Shame the LCF got killed off...other than being lacking in legroom (the floor wasn't low enough compared to the Isuzu NPR, and you can't go forward on a cabover), they were good little trucks. I rented one from Budget a few times...

Alan Slingsby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IIRC they originally designed the engine with the intent to offer it in the F-150...but, the problems with the 6.0l soured the relationship to the point where Ford abandoned the idea. Shame the LCF got killed off...other than being lacking in legroom (the floor wasn't low enough compared to the Isuzu NPR, and you can't go forward on a cabover), they were good little trucks. I rented one from Budget a few times...
maby they will or have reopened it since dodge has thier little diesel coming out this year

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The orifice in the coolant line to the heater core is to reduce the fluid pressure not the velocity. For incompressible flows (liquid is negligibly compressible), a reduction in the flow area results in a increase in the flow velocity. Mass flow is constant therefore the flow velocity must increase when going through a smaller hole. Bernoulli figured out that as flow velocity increases, the pressure decreases.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernoulli's_principle

What is used in the head is basically a restriction orifice. It reduces the downstream pressure of the fluid past the orifice so as to not pop the heater core.
http://www.enggcyclopedia.com/2011/07/orifice-plate/

Disagree.

Pressure in the system is going to be fairly constant - the entire system is pressurized. Restricting one side of the heater flow path doesn't keep backpressure from getting to it. There is some pressure differential due to the pump, but probably not enough to where not restricting the flow would cause a heater core failure.

I expect the restriction is more due to the fact that flow through the heater core essentially short circuits the engine cooling, so you don't want any more than you really need going through there.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that that thing is actually a thermostat intended to help retain heat when the engine is cold and aid warm up.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, I would guess the reason IDIT & IDI heads have different ford part numbers but the same casting number is different valves - IDIT may have used stellite facing or some
thing.

kawamatt

Reaction score
Disagree.

Pressure in the system is going to be fairly constant - the entire system is pressurized. Restricting one side of the heater flow path doesn't keep backpressure from getting to it. There is some pressure differential due to the pump, but probably not enough to where not restricting the flow would cause a heater core failure.

I expect the restriction is more due to the fact that flow through the heater core essentially short circuits the engine cooling, so you don't want any more than you really need going through there.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that that thing is actually a thermostat intended to help retain heat when the engine is cold and aid warm up.

So you are disputing Bernoulli's Principle? Pressure in the system is not fairly consistent. If it were, there would be no flow in the system. The system becomes pressurized due to the expansion of water when heated. There are also localized areas of higher pressure due to the energy imparted to the fluid from the water pump and the restriction of flow through the engine.

There is minimal backpressure to the heater core as the other line goes to the water pump inlet...

Your second paragraph makes no sense at all. The purpose of the engine cooling circuit is just that, to cool the engine. What is the heater core? Its a water to air heat exchanger, albeit much smaller than the engine cooling radiator. In what way is the "heater core short circuiting the engine cooling"?

Do you have any links to substantiate your idea? Flow through an orifice is pretty simple and explained completely by Bernoulli's Principle (linked above).

mohavewolfpup

Diesel Wolf Puppy
Reaction score
Here's another interesting document:

Deleted from site, ask for it to be emailed

This time I was searching for how to determine the build date of my engine via casting marks, and found this. I should just keep thinking up unique ways to search for stuff related to my truck!

Covers 6.9 IDI, 7.3 IDI Non Turbo and 7.3 Powerstroke. Also 6.0 Diesel

Last edited:

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Here's another interesting document:

powerstrokediesel.com/docs/Diesel_Engine_Overhaul_Kit.pdf‎

This time I was searching for how to determine the build date of my engine via casting marks, and found this. I should just keep thinking up unique ways to search for stuff related to my truck!

Covers 6.9 IDI, 7.3 IDI Non Turbo and 7.3 Powerstroke. Also 6.0 Diesel

Link isn't working.

Sent from my USCC-C6721 using Tapatalk