ZF5 internal damage/ do I need to replace?

J_For_JUstin

Reaction score
Hey guys not sure if this is the best forum for this but, I'm taking on the task of rebuilding a transmission for the first time. Out of my 1994 7.3 idit F250, its a zf5-s42. 4th gear synchro has always been bad and grinding into gear. Take a look at the photos, I'm having a hard time deciding what needs replacing/what the specific parts are called and where I would aquire the parts from. You can see 4th gear syncro is destroyed but my concern is for what it was contacting metal to metal, you can see the carnage in the pics. Also I found a chipped tooth on countershaft 5th gear.... will this cause any problems/vibration? Rather not be spending even more on this than I have to but let me know what you think. Thanks!
I've been using this... http://www.vaglinks.com/Docs/Catalogues/ZF.com_S5-42_47__47M_Service_manual_.pdf

You must be registered for see images attach

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
The chipped tooth will probably not be any problem, it was likely a result of loose parts flying around. The other stuff, I would advise replacing altogether. When things start transferring metal, it is a heat problem and failure is likely with any reused part of that mess.

Good luck, BTW, I am going to rebuild one of those transmissions soon and have no idea what is waiting for me.

crabbypaul

Reaction score
When I rebuilt the transmission in my truck I bought the parts from Midwest transmission they will give you tech support on the phone and will advise you on parts replacement. If that was my transmission I would be replacing all the bearings and that gear it appears that the inside race were the roller bearing rides is galled and pitted. This is not something that you want to do twice! Here is a link to there web site tps://www.midwesttrans.com

Last edited:

crabbypaul

Reaction score
I just looked at the pictures again the piece in the top and bottom picture is the input shaft I would take a long look at the flywheel and clutch assembly I think out of balance condition with my clutch assembly caused a very similar failure with my pickup.

J_For_JUstin

Reaction score
I just looked at the pictures again the piece in the top and bottom picture is the input shaft I would take a long look at the flywheel and clutch assembly I think out of balance condition with my clutch assembly caused a very similar failure with my pickup.
Can you give me some more info on this? Main reason I'm rebuilding is because I had a really bad vibration and when the truck warmed up, and you went to take off in 1st gear the truck would start jerking like crazy, even worse when I had to pull anything (having to slip the clutch). When I'd push the clutch back in there would be like "knocking" loudly. Bad clutch and flywheel? I've only had this new setup for a year.

crabbypaul

Reaction score
Justin sorry it took me so long to reply I don't look at this web site very often. When that happened to my transmission the pressure plate and flywheel had failed I don't know if one caused the other or which one failed first but at that time a LUK flywheel and clutch kit were installed. When the transmission was rebuilt the input shaft required replacement because it had got hot like yours and almost welded to the 4th gear it looks like yours. I just looked through my pictures to see if I had a good photo but don't it was May of 2015 that this happened , my dad was driving the pickup pulling 4 heifers we had bought so he nursed it home and i never really got a good explanation of how it started.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
If you have a dual mass flywheel. it will probably clunk and make all sorts of noise if it fails. Half a flywheel banging about by itself is plenty to create all that mess you have there.

J_For_JUstin

Reaction score
Justin sorry it took me so long to reply I don't look at this web site very often. When that happened to my transmission the pressure plate and flywheel had failed I don't know if one caused the other or which one failed first but at that time a LUK flywheel and clutch kit were installed. When the transmission was rebuilt the input shaft required replacement because it had got hot like yours and almost welded to the 4th gear it looks like yours. I just looked through my pictures to see if I had a good photo but don't it was May of 2015 that this happened , my dad was driving the pickup pulling 4 heifers we had bought so he nursed it home and i never really got a good explanation of how it started.

Do you remember what your symptoms were of them failing? Shaking? vibration?