Found this interesting ford document...

mohavewolfpup

Diesel Wolf Puppy
Reaction score
Don't know if any of you have seen this before.

Was doing a search online to see if someone had a template for the identification sticker on the valve cover. Mine is all white (erased from fuel I bet).

Instead, I found this:

www.powerstrokediesel.com/docs/DSRM.pdf

It actually has parts listed in it for the 6.9 and 7.3 idi's! (interesting notes are injection pumps and various letter code Injectors, but there are also cylinder heads, long/short block engines, etc)

There are also parts for 7.3 powerstrokes, the 4.5 V6, 6.0, etc. 150 page document, 11.4 megabytes

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
Woah, that's pretty awesome. Looks like it has alot of useful information in it.

Can't believe it actually lists information for all the diesels and not just the powerstrokes.

mohavewolfpup

Diesel Wolf Puppy
Reaction score
Woah, that's pretty awesome. Looks like it has alot of useful information in it.

Can't believe it actually lists information for all the diesels and not just the powerstrokes.

It surprised me. So much stuff I see out there is "and ford built a 6.9 hey look! teh mighty 7.3 powerstroke!" For being the engine that started it all in their pick ups, it's difficult to find out the nitty gritty details of it...

My next goal: to find a sales brochure and dealer data book that isn't artificially inflated in price...

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Very nice writeup. I still want to talk with the engine designers and ask why we have a fuel heater that appears to do nothing. Or why we have an orifice in the head coolant fitting to the heater. And a few other questions bout the idi engine that nobody can figure out.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gary in all likely hood restriction orfice in feed line to heater is likely slow down flow....JM2CW

iverger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Observations:
1) 6.9, 7.3 and 7.3T all have the same replacement crank, I thought the turbo crank was different.
2) 6.9, 7.3 and 7.3T all have different heads, I thought the 7.3 heads were the same. Although it does say the 7.3 and 7.3T have the same casting number.....different part numbers.

Love docs list this. Always educational.

mohavewolfpup

Diesel Wolf Puppy
Reaction score
Does anyone have a photo of the valve cover sticker for a 6.9 diesel? The wiki page has a nice one for the 7.3 idi turbo, but not quite close to what I need!

ToughOldFord

The Cold Glow-Plug
Reaction score
There are some errors in that document, the ones that jump out at me is they show the '86 6.9 used both the spade and bullet connecter glow plugs. The bullet connectors weren't used until '87 when the new controller was introduced. And that's the next error, they show '83 to '87 used the same controller, but that's not correct, '87 had the new style controller that was used up until '94.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If water goes too fast through the heater it will erode it and cause a leak.

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
There are some errors in that document, the ones that jump out at me is they show the '86 6.9 used both the spade and bullet connecter glow plugs. The bullet connectors weren't used until '87 when the new controller was introduced. And that's the next error, they show '83 to '87 used the same controller, but that's not correct, '87 had the new style controller that was used up until '94.

I'm thinking that these "errors" are not actually errors. I think it's probably telling you what to replace defective parts with now. So basically it's saying to use the newer style stuff in place of the older stuff.

ToughOldFord

The Cold Glow-Plug
Reaction score
I'm thinking that these "errors" are not actually errors. I think it's probably telling you what to replace defective parts with now. So basically it's saying to use the newer style stuff in place of the older stuff.

If you were to do that you'd have to rewire the engine bay. And if that was the case the newer style GPs would be listed for the entire run, 83 to 94.

kawamatt

Reaction score
Or why we have an orifice in the head coolant fitting to the heater.

Gary in all likely hood restriction orfice in feed line to heater is likely slow down flow....JM2CW

If water goes too fast through the heater it will erode it and cause a leak.

The orifice in the coolant line to the heater core is to reduce the fluid pressure not the velocity. For incompressible flows (liquid is negligibly compressible), a reduction in the flow area results in a increase in the flow velocity. Mass flow is constant therefore the flow velocity must increase when going through a smaller hole. Bernoulli figured out that as flow velocity increases, the pressure decreases.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernoulli's_principle

What is used in the head is basically a restriction orifice. It reduces the downstream pressure of the fluid past the orifice so as to not pop the heater core.
http://www.enggcyclopedia.com/2011/07/orifice-plate/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online