Found some parts at local Ford dealer

burtcheca

farmer/cabinetmaker
Reaction score
Last oil filter cost me almost $15 at NAPA. Then I decided to stop at Walts Ford dealer's parts dep. in Live Oak, Fl. and ask if they still have the oil filter for my van and truck (both '86 w/ 6.9). The lady there said: "Yes, and I can special order many parts for those vehicles if you need them and I don't have it in stock. But the oil filters are stock items". Then I asked, thinking it will be more expensive than the NAPA ones, how much for the Motorcraft oil filter?. She gave it to me for $9.99. ;Sweet
The air filter, the fuel filter, brakes and many other parts that I asked her, she said yes, after checking in her computer screen.;Sweet
Maybe you guys can still find some parts in your local dealer. After I saw Ford did not take any bailout money from the Government I'm more willing to give them my business. It's my humble way to support those that stick to the values America was built on.
I hope this helps somebody.
Burt, a bitterclinger Florida *******.

DragRag

Reaction score
I think the STP oil filter is $6.99 at autozone. I try not to shop at Napa here in Hollister, they think Napa Gold filters are lined with real 24kt Gold. LOL

Last edited:

greg_a_morton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
napa in my town is the only parts store that can look up stuff in the books and cross numbers. All the other parts stores ask what the computer tells them to ask and they cant help for the life of them. I dont mind spending a little more when you get the right part and a little knowledge. I do buy stuff online that sell by part numbers for a good price.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Pretty funny when some other guys dealer just last week was telling him that parts were no longer available for these things :rotflmao Just goes to show that it is all in how much effort the dealer wants to put into being involved in older models, just like I said . Sounds like you have a winner there ;Sweet Our local dealer can't get anything past a power steering pump seal :backoff

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
Not the dealer, it's lazy parts counter help. If they haven't been around for long, they don't want to dig around in the computer to find your parts, or the parts used on later models that are the same, or the superseded part numbers. Maybe a call to the front office with questions about parts availability will get you some help. The dealer wants your money and doesn't care how old the truck is.

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
Good to hear ;Sweet

I like NAPA brand anything (some of the best filters out there imo) especially when I have a good friend that works there :sly That said our local Ford dealer is insane! $29 each for Beru's and over $1200 for a replacement radiator--they can keep their IDI parts :eek:

agp23109

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I too appreciate the fact Ford did not take any bail out (China) money my kids kids kids kids are going to be paying for. With that being said, the local Ford dealer here in town was run by crooks and actually went out of business when the economy was still good (I don't think the district attorney filing charges against the owner for crooked business practices helped business at all). Since then I have been getting Motorcraft PS filters at Wal-Mart for $9 and change. Not a bad deal in my opinion.

mark7.3idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
napa gold is nothing special all it is. IS a wix filter with napas name on it. Oreilly sells the same stuff for so much cheper. They have the books and the know how to find some hard to find parts. Just My 2 cents

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
Pretty funny when some other guys dealer just last week was telling him that parts were no longer available for these things :rotflmao Just goes to show that it is all in how much effort the dealer wants to put into being involved in older models, just like I said . Sounds like you have a winner there ;Sweet Our local dealer can't get anything past a power steering pump seal :backoff

Take some time and give Ford headquarters a call when something like that happens. They bring down the hammer and get on those slacker dealership guys.

For instance (this is a more severe situation), a few years ago Dad was having some problems with the powerstroke. It was having issues with intermittent surging during normal driving.

Well, long story short, they had the thing for OVER A MONTH. We were riding their ass constantly to try and find out what was going on. Counter guys kept telling us that they were still going through it. That was until one night driving the loaner car home from a grocery trip, we spotted the mechanic with OUR TRUCK after hours using it to move some of his furniture!! :mad:

One call to Ford the next morning and that mechanic was FIRED on the spot. He had racked up almost 1000 miles "diagnosing" our truck...which turned out to be a bad sensor that was discovered in 10 minutes once he was canned.

I have to say, he got off lucky though...Dad's hands were prepared to be wrapped around his neck if he ever saw him. Ever since, I haven't ever given dealerships slack. Ride their ass and make sure they do it right.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's bad news right there. Problem is, that is a problem with the mechanic. Could happen at any brands dealership. I suppose the service manager was complacient too though. I bet he is walking on thin ice for a while.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I just bought a fuel filter from Nappa... It listed for $74.00 and I payed $420.. for it with my AAA card discount....:eek: That wont happen again thats for sure... The next time they will need two John Deeres to spread my cheeks...:mad:

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
napa gold is nothing special all it is. IS a wix filter with napas name on it. Oreilly sells the same stuff for so much cheper. They have the books and the know how to find some hard to find parts. Just My 2 cents

Oreilly can keep there junk, they wanted 180 dollars for a clutch kit for my truck with a 1 year warranty, went to auto zone and got one with a lifetime warranty for 147 dollars!

Zrock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I find the cheepest place to buy my filters is the local Kenworth Shop... 1/2 the price of anyware else

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
mark is right, all napa filters are wix filters. nothign special.

to convert from napa to wix, for oil filters add a 5 to the begining. for air and a 4, fuel add a 3.

to go from wix to napa, drop the first number.

example:

wix oil filter, 57259
napa number 7259

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online