Found out why it has a Death Shake! now what to do?

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welding isn't that hard at all, still they did a better job than the guy who owned my truck before. An inch and a half stack of porosity on the downpipe alone, that was fun trying to clean up...

Might be worth welding it up all nice, then welding another piece of metal over the area for extra reinforcement. Otherwise a good cleaning and proper weld'll do. How long did that crap they tried to pass as welding last? If it held for any time then a good weld would last MUCH longer obviously

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
again towcat covered it it is not somthing you want to deal with i would keep it or buy a blown up one for 500 bucks and swap your stuff over and you could do alomst a full build maybe get a 4x4 but its a bomb that will bite you in the rear honestly the dealer could be in trouble as well espcially if on the reciet that you got is not stated cleary that they released responsiablity on it and that it was now salvage and thats how you wanted them to fix it and you were not fixing the problem corectly because i own a body shop and when theres damage on a car like a rear end collision and they put a brand new rear bumper cover on and not fix the rear body pan thats pushed all the way to the rear seat and they want it to look good so they can sell it they have to fill out a paper and sign it along with the repairs that are made and also the exsiting damage thats still on the car

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
don't scrap it from that. when i put the 39.5s on the terra i found cracks and the one bracket was almost ripped off. after a buttload of grinding and welding i fixed the wobble. it handles and drives better now. fix up those welds and drive it!

You must be registered for see images

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can fix it. I've redone a lot of wrecks over the years. I've owned vehicles with repaired frames. Never thought much of it as I trust the person doing my frame repairs. I do agree it opens up liability though. I have always been completely honest when I sell a wrecked vehicle that it was wrecked. and most of them have salvage titles.

Cucamongan

Huh?
Reaction score
You have plenty of suggestions/advice for fixing it but how did it get broken to begin with? Did you buy it that way?

It was bought from a family friend, who only owned it for 6 months, who sold it to us for what he had into it, by pressure from his wife.
We drove it for about 9 months to a year until a death shake would appear and rattle your teeth loose once in a while (once every 2 weeks) until it got more frequent and we took it to the Local Stealership (Citrus Motor, like bjprk said) and they took it in and "fixed" it. I will pull and post the work sheet.

After that, we talked to the friend that sold it to us, and he remembers the owner said he parked it on a hill and set the parking brake, but it "failed" and rolled down hill into a tree. Since it was a newer truck then, they repaired it. Im assuming that the repairs were done by a cheap body shop. who knows if the frame was damaged then and not repaired, or a small crack that grew into this huge problem....

Too many sweet jumps :D
Maybe, family vehicle, everyone drives it, even those who are not nice on cars *cough brothers cough*

and fyi non-chlorinated brake cleaner + welding = trip to doctor
Oh yeah, i read about a guy that had a major respiratory attack from igniting and breathing brake cleaner fumes

Last edited:

Cucamongan

Huh?
Reaction score
More pictures of the frame, not looking good.... what to do?
You must be registered for see images attach

Cucamongan

Huh?
Reaction score
Here is the repair receipt:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you want to transfer the parts to a chassis in better shape, I may have a solution for you. I will have a F250 4x4 reg cab stripped down to a rolling chassis in two weeks. It will have frame, cab, suspension, front clip, trans and transfer case. I am taking the motor, the bed and the FSV. the front suspension needs rebuilding and the trans has no reverse.
it comes with a app for duplicate pink and a current non-op cert.
what's left of the truck is yours if you can use it. if not, it goes to p-n-p and I make $400.

Cucamongan

Huh?
Reaction score
Towcat, you have a PM

I got the grinder out and went to town. not pretty underneath....

porosity in the crap welds

crack was pretty big.