Found Out Where All My Coolant Was Going

WhiskeyBottle2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys...I was loosing coolant a little bit at a time over a long period of time and had been searching for any leaks, but could not find any...So I was thinking drop by drop was being lost thru the head gaskets. I was almost ready to pull the heads until it finally dawned on me to do a radiator leak down test.

Good thing too, cuz I found out via the tests that my radiator had a small pinhole leak at the top seam right behind the fan shroud. Must have been one of those invisible slow steam leaker that I would have never found.

Moral of the story...Always Do The TESTING! Don't assume nothing...could cost you more than you want to spend...

Anyway, the radiator is the original 86 model, so I am going to replace it with an aluminum one rated at 800 hp and a new hd fan clutch since I tow a trailer.

I heard I should use a waste anode so as not to corrode the aluminum...Anybody ever hear of that or know anything about it?

Thanks

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We run magnesium plugs in alfa Romeo heads. Wet sleeve engine eats expensive aluminum heads

WhiskeyBottle2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Magnesium Plugs! So does that mean I can replace a block plug or head plug with one of these or maybe one at the water pump plug that is not being used for anything? If I understand...these are threaded plugs right?

Where does one get these plugs? Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online