For those of you with a ZF5.......

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I need to know how the ZF crossmember goes up, a picture of anyone's underside with a ZF would be great!! thanks.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's the problem? The zf lower crossmember is the same as the c6(but you had a E4OD correct?). It slides back to the rearmost holes in the frame, and the short upper pieces on each side are made with a offset just for the zf.

I had all the correct pieces from the donor, but I was looking at it, and thought if I had to use the short upper c6 pieces, it would be easier to drill a new hole in the crossmember with the drill press and at least use one bolt in it, rather that trying to drill new holes in the upper part of the frame.

MidnightBlade

Shiftin' Smooth
Reaction score
If you can't find a heim upgrade, keep an eye on that clutch lever bushing. Buddy of mine's '89 7.3 has an egged-out master cyl rod and is so bad now that he has to dang near bang-shift it 'cause he let the bushing fall by the wayside. The hiem is a nicer, fairly worry free upgrade. Just did my ZF swap last weekend, listen to these guys on OB. They helped me get my ducks lined up before I tackled the swap and everything went smooth as buttah! If you don't have one already and can afford it right now, get a SouthBend or LuK flywheel and clutch assembly. The gear rollover noise is worth the lack of headaches the dual-mass flywhell will provide you with.....also an issue my buddy is having.

I just gave up using the clutch completely, if I use the clutch it grinds worse than just floating gears (doesn't grind at all if done right) ;Sweet

Also make sure that YOU drive the truck and see if it goes into reverse OK. The reason I'm telling you this is from experience. When I bought my truck the guy said that Reverse was "Just a narrow slot" and he could put it in Reverse just fine but when I tried it was like "Huh uh, not goin' for you :flipa"

Also, another problem with the ZF (mine has it) is that it feels like it goes into reverse just fine, but when you let the clutch out it will grind itself into Nuetral. If it does this for you try letting the clutch out in 1st and while still rolling forward put it in reverse, it will proably grind the first few time you try it but not a fast grind, just like clunk, clunk then it *should* go into reverse. I can make a vid if necessary.

benton

Country boy
Reaction score
ive got an 88 f250 4x4 for cheap the other day and im swapping the 5speed out of it and in to my 92 so this thread will be very helpful to me :)

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I mean does the angled part of the dog ears go to the back or front?

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
By "dog ears" do you mean the upper short crossmember pieces? If so, they will only fit one way. There are two sets of holes in the lower part of the frame, the zf lower crossmember goes in the rear set. There are only one set of holes in the upper frame for the short upper crossmembers. Since the lower crossmember moved back, the zf upper crossmembers have a offset to the front so they line up with the original single set of holes in the upper frame. They are only going to go on one way.

If you are messing around with the E4OD lower crossmember, and the piece's that go with it, I don't know what they look like, and have a feeling they might not bolt in correctly. I only know the c6 lower crossmember is the same as the zf lower crossmember.

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, that makes sense now. I'm not using any E4OD crossmembers for the ZF, from what I've read it is totally different. I will put up the dog ears and probably put up the crossmember after the tranny is up.

ryanecvbrown

Credo Quia Absurdum
Reaction score
I did what everyone else is saying. Moved the C6 c-member to the rearward holes on the lower flange of the frame and dropped the ZF right in there. My temporary dog ear solution was to line up the C6 ears with the c-member, then mark and drill one hole in the upper dog ear where it meets the flange so I could at least use one of the bolts until I can afford ZF dog ears. Funny though, everyone swears you HAFTA use the upper dog ears due to torque twist, but when I built my 500hp 460 for my '68, all it had was a lower crossmember and no dog ears. I never used it for towing or hauling anything but a** and filling my fender wells with rubber chunks, though. It was too pretty for that. Not saying anyone is wrong, just wondering if there's something I missed in the torque twist and RBM department with the newer frames.

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright guys, I am still mixed up on how the zf cross member goes up. The dog ears are different so which one goes on the drivers side? A picture of a ZF crossmember on a truck would say it all! Thanks.