For those of you with a ZF5.......

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For those of you with a ZF5*IO need pics of ZF crossmember!!!*.......

i got a couple questions for you. I stated in another thread that I am going to be doing a zf5 swap and I picked up my zf5 from a 88' f250. I had the pleasure of seeing it all work as the tranny was still in the truck. Thing is, the truck had a bad case of firewall flex, bad bushings, and the Master cylinder was going. So the clutch had to be buried all the way touching the floor for it to go into gear. Once I get it in my truck, seller said it would operate normal? Another thing, how much play should there be in the shifter when it is in a gear?? Also, this truck had 160K on it, Is there anything I should look for/replace before it goes into my truck? The transmission was dry underneath and it looked pretty good to be honest. I'll post pics once I get it home.

Also, I want to solve the problem of bad bushings and I read about a hiem joint(sp?)? Where would I get this?

Also, I want to prevent firewall flex, I thought I remember something about a stabilizer plate for trucks that were flexing?

Thanks

Last edited:

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
http://www.terrapinmfg.com/display.php?prod=14

you can purchase the firewall plate here... there is a TSB on it and a write up on how to do it here in our own tech section thanks to riotwarrior.

the big thing with the ZF5's is the synchros. does it go in and out of gear ok? does it grind going into reverse?

id change the fluid while you have it out. it should have a little play in gear but not a whole lot...

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
http://www.terrapinmfg.com/display.php?prod=14

you can purchase the firewall plate here... there is a TSB on it and a write up on how to do it here in our own tech section thanks to riotwarrior.

the big thing with the ZF5's is the synchros. does it go in and out of gear ok? does it grind going into reverse?

id change the fluid while you have it out. it should have a little play in gear but not a whole lot...

Funny you say that because it did seem to go into reverse a little hard - it ground a little, but the guy got it in with no grinding. It shifted through all other gears pretty well, of course the clutch had to be floored because of the other issues. I plan on changing the fluid, and it looks like only the pre 92 trucks had that firewall flex issue, for some reason i thought the OBS trucks did to.

Thanks, you rock

Is a heim joint something universal? Or do they sell the whole assembly someplace?

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dont forget, you need 92-97 pedals. 97-91 ones will NOT work

I doubt that any pedals that go back in time will work.:D:D Sorry....I couldn't resist.

I read that somewhere else, but thanks for the heads up. I was gonna get a new assembly for $190 at LMC.

Last edited:

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
also to note...with the 92-97 pedal assembly you will not need that firewall reinforcement plate...didnt catch that in my first post

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, thats great.

Also what do you mean by a little play? The shifter moved back and forth about a inch when in gear, is that normal?

ryanecvbrown

Credo Quia Absurdum
Reaction score
If you can't find a heim upgrade, keep an eye on that clutch lever bushing. Buddy of mine's '89 7.3 has an egged-out master cyl rod and is so bad now that he has to dang near bang-shift it 'cause he let the bushing fall by the wayside. The hiem is a nicer, fairly worry free upgrade. Just did my ZF swap last weekend, listen to these guys on OB. They helped me get my ducks lined up before I tackled the swap and everything went smooth as buttah! If you don't have one already and can afford it right now, get a SouthBend or LuK flywheel and clutch assembly. The gear rollover noise is worth the lack of headaches the dual-mass flywhell will provide you with.....also an issue my buddy is having.

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey could I read through your thread? No need asking the same questions twice.

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
if you want to see the difference in the pedal assemblies...there was a guy that posted in al (riotwarrior)'s thread over on fullsizebronco.com for the firewall reinforcement. he took some nice pics of a 92-97 pedal assy

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Speaking of pedal assemblies, anyone have a pedal assembly laying around in good condition? Im gonna buy a new one I think, but if anyone has one im interested.

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, I'll send them a call. I have to call about a fmc master cylinder too.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent

Members online