Flatlander engine teardown begins

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was wondering when you would get started on this. Lol. What are your plans as far as the build goes? Have you thought about cryo treating the engine components at all to add strength to them? I do know that Heath Diesel cryoed everything on the their 500hp 6.5 and as far as I know it is still holding up. NMB2 also did it on his build. Idk it was just a thought. Also, idk how far Hypermax has got on them, but I do know that they were working in a fire ring and gasket setup. So, that might be a good option for you to look at also if they get um done when you need um.

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
Ignoring the head work, and assuming OEM head gaskets, with the low compression (20.7) heads it would be 16.5, with the higher compression (21.5) heads 17.0...
I do not know the cross sectional area of the precup throat, so I simply calculated the volume of the cylinder at top dead center of each head to get my base numbers, in my math all numbers were rounded to the nearest ten thousandth (0.0001). Total piston displacement is right around 428.66in3.

Note that because of the heads being decked your compression will be slightly higher if Ken did it right.
This math is for a 6.9 bored 0.040" over with the pistons milled 0.060" and the block decked 0.005". Good luck Ron.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Yeah it's getting rolling now that I had a slow down in shop work.
Paying customers first but I still have rally plans to work on and that takes priority still.

I'm still closely watching to see the overall longevity of the HP builds done so far and is why I'm not wanting to push the envelope to maintain reliability.

Barney stuck his neck out first with this one and I understand his reasons to abandon the project.

Seings how Barney was hitting 20 psi without any rod issues, I plan to stick in the 20-30 psi with parallel twins.

Depending on compression calculations, which will dictate boost goals, I don't feel the need to go any farther or to compete in any type of HP battle.

I want to see it live but with a different twist.:sly

Last edited:

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
Take it this won't be a rally ready project?

I'd like it to be but is hard to say yet Richard.

Tis a long way out yet as there are some design hurdles to get over yet.
Getting the engine internals corrected will be the easy part.

Turbo mounted exhaust manifolds will be interesting....:sly

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
Ok so stock pistons raise .010" above the block deck has been shaved .005" and pistons have been shaved .060" that should now leave them .045" below deck surface.

Time to CC some heads and cylinders tonight.:sly

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah it's getting rolling now that I had a slow down in shop work.
Paying customers first but I still have rally plans to work on and that takes priority still.

I'm still closely watching to see the overall longevity of the HP builds done so far and is why I'm not wanting to push the envelope to maintain reliability.

Barney stuck his neck out first with this one and I understand his reasons to abandon the project.

Seings how Barney was hitting 20 psi without any rod issues, I plan to stick in the 20-30 psi with parallel twins.

Depending on compression calculations, which will dictate boost goals, I don't feel the need to go any farther or to compete in any type of HP battle.

I want to see it live but with a different twist.:sly

20-30psi sounds about ideal to me. The most boost I have seen thus far is 28psi and he is making good power with that. It'll be really cool seeing parallel twins on an idi. You will definitely be the first to that. You will get double the air density with that setup at the same boost pressure. It'll make decent power for sure. Any plans on upgrading the IP even further than a regular Moose Pump?

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
20-30psi sounds about ideal to me. The most boost I have seen thus far is 28psi and he is making good power with that. It'll be really cool seeing parallel twins on an idi. You will definitely be the first to that. You will get double the air density with that setup at the same boost pressure. It'll make decent power for sure. Any plans on upgrading the IP even further than a regular Moose Pump?

Definitely looking for a different take for the IDI platform and hopefully be able to keep it easily maintainable.
As for going beyond the needs of a Moose pump, not in the equation. It has shown reliability and until the hybrid pumps can show longevity, I'll make that Moose juice work to the max.;Sweet

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
You at least gotta go Super Moose.

I don't know if you're wanting to divulge this info yet, but would this engine be going into Goldie? Or have you got blue paint on hand for another truck?

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
I gotta max out the Moose first. I put a Banks non gated turbo and Moose on my buddy's 89 C/C 4x4 1 ton this summer and was blazing past 20 psi on a 6.9 and lifted the heads with it so there's room to improve on yet.
Goldie is the most up to par in the fleet right now but would like this setup in a 2 wheel drive truck that's a wee bit lower to te ground.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
Yep, a few developments but still hung up on pistons. Looking at destroked pistons but still deciding which manufacturer and how much to shave off the crowns has been my concern after seeing how the crowns were scorched on the build.
After some thought and some recon, I've decided to use a pair of stock HX35's as they will flow sufficient air for this build and shouldn't fall out of their efficiency range for the levels of boost I'm looking for.
Jason and I have talked about getting some manifolds built for them to set the turbos on.
I wasn't going to intercool at first as to see where my numbers are at until Jason showed me a link to a twin turbo intercooler setup.
http://www.cxracing.com/mm5/merchan...=CXR&Product_Code=IC0012&Category_Code=IC35CO
After seeing how Darrins intercooler install went, this setup should do nicely and may not be too big of a plumbing nightmare.
I've removed all of the precups from the heads as I do not feel comfortable with the cracks in them. Got plenty of spares to chose from so that will be all for head work.
I'm reusing the crank and will reusing the block after getting it back to spec.
A typ4 cam will be in the mix also as that should provide some serious low end grunt for this beast. :D
Plenty to do yet but rally prep and shop work are taking priority right now.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, a few developments but still hung up on pistons. Looking at destroked pistons but still deciding which manufacturer and how much to shave off the crowns has been my concern after seeing how the crowns were scorched on the build.
After some thought and some recon, I've decided to use a pair of stock HX35's as they will flow sufficient air for this build and shouldn't fall out of their efficiency range for the levels of boost I'm looking for.
Jason and I have talked about getting some manifolds built for them to set the turbos on.
I wasn't going to intercool at first as to see where my numbers are at until Jason showed me a link to a twin turbo intercooler setup.
http://www.cxracing.com/mm5/merchan...=CXR&Product_Code=IC0012&Category_Code=IC35CO
After seeing how Darrins intercooler install went, this setup should do nicely and may not be too big of a plumbing nightmare.
I've removed all of the precups from the heads as I do not feel comfortable with the cracks in them. Got plenty of spares to chose from so that will be all for head work.
I'm reusing the crank and will reusing the block after getting it back to spec.
A typ4 cam will be in the mix also as that should provide some serious low end grunt for this beast. :D
Plenty to do yet but rally prep and shop work are taking priority right now.

IMHO you should try the Keith Blacks cus the Mahls have already failed in that engine. And it might be good to try something different. I know the Keith Blacks are a lil expensive but they are good pistons and worth the extra money. Plus iirc they have extra crown thickness whick will allow you to take more off the piston and still have more meat on them. Also those Hx35s will be awesome on that setup. They will spool decently and will give you good cool boost on the top end. Also its good you plan to intercool it. Intercooling is a necessity on any turboed engine especially at the boost levels you plan to run. Check out ebay, I believe I have seen intercoolers almost exactly like that on there before. Also have you decided about adding more fuel later and what you are gonne do with the fuel system? I know you plan on just a Moose Pump for now but you have any more plans for fuel in the future?

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
has anyone thought about pocket milling the middle of the pistons to help a bit on the CR?

and yes ron...your an evil evil man.... i may have my banks WG sidewinder setup for sale soon lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US