Flatlander build piston solution found

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
So after doing some searching today I discovered an old thread about stroking a diesel and http://www.barnetthighperformance.com/ popped out.
Hmm, let's give them a call and see what they have to offer.
Providing the specs off this build and what I'm looking for compression wise and turbos selection we come up with a complete custom stroker kit build that will put me into the compression range Im shooting for and won't be sacrificing piston crown integrity.
Offset grinding the crank, using H beam style connecting rods(Oliver) and Diamond pistons should make this one work juuuust nicely.;Really
Since he's only 2 hrs away from me and will need my short block to do the mods and make the stroker kit, I'd be looking around $2500-$2800 for the short block setup.:eek:
I felt really comfortable with the shop as they want to have my short block setup in hand to make sure everything works properly and I don't waste my money.;Sweet
Sounds like I just found my answer.:sly

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Duh...ReallyLOL:rolleyes::eek::angel: Ron... I have been talking up Barnett for several years about what they do with our head with porting three differant stages and... They are the only shop I have found that offers a stroker kit. They taught me something about the exhaust port grinding and that was changing the tight curve between the exhaust manifold and the stellite seat. Mel and a great head cutaway that Russ made up for everyone to actually see this and many other areas of our heads...Duh...... Thats really not a bad price for the work they will be doing for you. Sounds like all you have to do is install the heads and the twins and your off to the rally with it....:eek::angel::hail Well.. That and a couple of fabulous custom exhaust manifolds.... Childs play right.....;Really:D Need and special tools for this build finish... I'm sure to find something you "can't live without....:rotflmao I'm a parts and tool *****.....:rotflmaocookoo

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
LOL yeah Gary your name surfaced in the thread so I just knew it was you ya parts *****! :D

There's still a lot to do yet design wise yet as the parallel setup is proving to be a wee bit of a challenge at exhaust routing. Not sure it will make the rally but this was a major problem solution!
And you're right, the price is more than fair for what he plans to do.:sly

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
Al, we didn't crunch final numbers on displacement today. We've got some more crunching to do so specs can be finalized for the build.
Gotta shoot him an email with the spec request.
will know his details after that. :D

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
im still wondering how a std compression 7.3 will live under twins and around 20-25psi of boost....intercooler will be a requirement...

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just a quick question....why does it need twins if its only going to make 25psi?

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you cant gain a 1/4 inch, offset for a 1/2 inch stroke at least it isnt worth it in my book.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
So Tim got back with me and he need's a few more measurements yet but It should be in the 457-464 CID range.:sly

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
7.8 maybe... Can you say torque like an old straight 8 engine..... About 2 years ago Barnett listed two differant stroker 7.3 engines available. Can't find that info on their web page anymore...
Many years ago Gale Banks claim to fame was the twin turbo 454 boat engine.:eek: My brother had one and at 80 mph if he slammed the throttle to the boards the acceleration would almost break you neck when it took off... Doing an already 80 mph...:eek:LOL A small turbo feeding one bank of 4 cylinders keeps the boost down but feeds the engine what it needs to go. That was a scarey wicked boat.... Twins boosting into seperate intake manifolds will look great but I would "balance" the intake by building a combined intake manifold from each turbo. The thought of either turbo loosing boost would wreck the hell out of an engine turning some rpm. Plus, these idi engines have a very odd fireing order....

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Staff online