Fixed it, I think

ilpourboy

Reaction score
So I found some info in an old post and did the full field test for my voltage regulator. Voltage only went from 11.75 to 12.43, bingo, found the problem. I took it back to auto zone and the guy tested it and confirmed that it was trash. I told him that they should have tested it before they sold it to me 10 days ago. :eek: I had him test the new one and it was good. I put it on, fired it up and everything seemed good to go. After checking the voltage at the batteries I took it for a spin and noticed that the ammeter would go way up as the rpm's went up. The headlights and dash lights would also get brighter as the rpm's went up. Is this normal ? If not, any ideas on how to fix this ? As usual, the help is greatly appreciated.

thanks
Rob.

troutwest66

Ricer-Roni The IDI Treat
Reaction score
Higher RPMs will increase the output of the alt. but I don't have much in the way of lights fluctuating but my alt. gauge changes with RPM a little.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Run it for a few days. Your batteries are probably low and need the alternator to charge them up. Don't let the alternator charge up a very low set of batteries because they were not designed for that. Sure, they will do it but it puts a real big load on the alternator.

ilpourboy

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. The low battery thing makes sense because they were only reading like 11.7 volts before the new VR.

Rob

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have a battery charger you may want to charge the batteries with that. The alternator is designed for maintaining the charge in the batteries along with running the electrical equipment in the truck. There not designed for charging batteries that are below 12 volts.