first time motor pull tips?

73idi88f350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
any suggestions on pulling my motor the first time? can i leave the turbo on it when i pull it? its a banks side winder.

has manual trans

FordGuy100

Reaction score
You might be able to, but I would take it off. Make sure everything is unhooked, ther is a ground strap at the drivers side head that goes to the firewall I believe, I forgot that one. Take your time and go slow. Took me about a day the first time.

73idi88f350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this is for sure not my first motor job.. i guess i kind of already pulled one because the one i bought was on the front part of the frame but that's cheating and i cut it off with a fire.

ive done way harder work then this but i you helped me out with telling me about the ground strap..

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Just remember, 73idi88f350, life could be worse..... this was how my buddy and me spent this past Monday: cookoo cookoo

You must be registered for see images attach

Good thing we've done this before..... Bad thing: we've done this before! :frustrate

A straight-up pull? We're envious! Good luck. ;Sweet

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't forget the fuel return line at the rear of the engine. I did my first time .. First mild pull forward on the hoist and it ripped the nipple off of the fuel tank selector.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
You can leave the clutch on it, and the fuel filter assembly. I pulled my engine up and over the radiator support every time, hand to let 1/2 the air out of the tires to clear. Let all of the air out and my hoist would hit the front axle.:rolleyes: Once you get the engine free of the bell housing and mounts, it seems to want to come out by rotating it clockwise 45-70 degrees. The front of the engine wants to be looking towards the passenger wheel well when lifting out. I also realized that there is a disconnect for the wiring harness after I disconnected everything and pulled it off to the side. Good luck, despite being big and heavy, these engines come out rather easily.;Sweet

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Best trick I ever learned from Towcat was to remove the cab mounts and jack the cab up and set it on about 6in blocks. Do that and remove teh core support and you will have all kinds of room to work in there and wiggle teh engine around. Not so important for getting it out, but can be critical when going back in. Engine comes out pretty fast, but like all things, getting it all lined up and back in takes about 3-4 times longer

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have used two bricks on each side of the frame an worked well. All second towcat and rdsl on that.

73idi88f350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys but I don't think I'll mess with he can mouts the bolts look like they would break

bobracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not knowing any better we put a turbo engine in with the turbo on and no lift to the cab. We ended up pulling the pass. side engine mount off the frame to get things to line up, and it still wasn't fun putting that mount back in either.
It can be done but we also just did a truck with a 3" body lift, the engine just dropped right in. Both truck still had the core support but we did let the air out of the last truck to clear the support.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rent a forklift. LOL

Seriously, remember that the engine weights 1200#..... most engine hoists are rated for 1000# with the boom all the way out, and even with it at the right position it's still scary. You've got a lot of weight and it'd be real easy for something to let go and get someone or something hurt. It's a wee bit different than a SBC..... I've never done anything beyond moving a motor around the shop with a engine hoist and even just going 2' up it was scary. I've always used a forklift or an a-frame rigged off the back of another truck to pull the motors.

As mentioned above make sure everything is disconnected. Fuel feed & return lines, all 3 battery cables, (pos & 2 ground) grounding straps, ps lines, clutch, motor mounts, wiring, heater hoses, throttle cable, etc.

These are pretty simple motors to pull aside from the shear size and weight.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For Chris sakes, what's so difficult about pulling an engine. I'm 84 yrs. old and pulling them by myself, yeah with a HF 1 ton engine hoist. Working on it after re-installed, just gotta have the right equipment, top side crawler really helps these old bones. ;Really :D Yeah, if you check the date on the pic, I was only 82.

Attachments

• DSCF0931.JPG
    DSCF0931.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 40
  • DSCF0930.JPG
    DSCF0930.JPG
    50.5 KB · Views: 30

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
I just did a wham-bam-thank you mam weekend engine swap, pulled a dead 7.3 from my blue truck, pulled the good 6.9 from the black truck, dropped it in the blue truck, and drove it to work monday morning... cookoo

I learned the hard way, that although it is probably possible to pull/install the engine with the turbo on, if you're single handed such as I was, it makes it alot easier to get the engine lined up to the transmission without the turbo causing grief by getting intimate with the firewall.

I decided not to pull the front clip off either trucks, since I wanted to keep my a/c functional on the blue truck. If you go this route, make sure and put some plywood behind the radiator to protect it from the water pump... This saved my radiator.

Work through a mental checklist, and go over everything individually. Electrical, Fuel, Power steering, Exhaust. On my '85 truck everything came to a halt mid-pull. The engine got caught on something and wouldn't budge. My wife was standing off to the side and said "hey that wire looks like its about to break" There is a ground strap on the back of the passenger side head, between the head and the firewall. Couldn't see it before the pull...

I also unbolted the hood springs and held the hood open with a 2x4, to get a little extra room under the hood...

;Sweet

73idi88f350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys I burned the mounts off the motor that's going into my truck, so we're do I remove the motor mounts