First start of powerful Idi build...

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The engineers at Mahle told me about 5 years ago not to take more than about 15 or 20 off the piston tops. I don't recall the exact amount but its been posted here several times in the past. The reason is the material left above the ring wil not protect the ring from the heat. Now knowning this I should also addd the Mahle turbo and non turbo piston dome thickness at the thinnest part is 560 to 580 thousands thick. Of course the edges are much thicker too but not above the ring. Adding ceramic coating wil help but to what expent I can't say. These pistons have a tremendise pressure slamming into them. My engine has 530 lbs of cranking pressure. What it has when running 12 lbs of boost is way beyond me. Building an engine with pistons cut fown this much will be an interesting item to watch. My thoughts are it will not last but I hope to be wrong with that feling. I look at the psychical properties of whats going on and wonder what will make it work. When something breaks down I do whats called RCA... Thats Root Cause Anaylsis of the failure... Why replace something with the same part if its just going to break again...:dunno Find out the whys and fix it. Then move on. Pressing the limits can be dangerous but how do we learn until we try. Knowledge is king in any business. The more you know about something the more powerful you are. Am I the king... Nope.. Just a small court joker doing my own thing and enjoying the hell out of it... Could I lead the march to the sea... Nope but I may go along for the trip too....:sly Its only 25 miles from my door.....:eek::angel::D I will be watching this build as long as it comes here and I really hope it runs well. Building something that fails is kind of a tuff letdown sometimes...

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pushing the envelope for power and speed only takes cubic dollars and time.

Looks like these folks have spent plenty of both.

I wish them well... loved the turbo spool on the video... which is about all I could get from it after smoke wiped out the visuals..

Black dawg

Reaction score
Im thinking that the harm done to everyone in the shop in that vid was about equivillent to smoking a carton of ciggs in seven and a half minutes. Not to mention it cuts down the quality of the vid quite a lot

I will be surprised if they can figure out how to put the hood on after breathing all that **** and CO.

THat is just wrong.

I worked with a ****** that liked to run stuff with no hose on it, I was always busy doing my own thing and wouldnt notice till I started not feeling right. I would do just about anything to make up for the problems this has caused me.

Sorry to be such a **** about this but you really should take your health more serious than that.

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
I will be surprised if they can figure out how to put the hood on after breathing all that **** and CO.

THat is just wrong.

I worked with a ****** that liked to run stuff with no hose on it, I was always busy doing my own thing and wouldnt notice till I started not feeling right. I would do just about anything to make up for the problems this has caused me.

Sorry to be such a **** about this but you really should take your health more serious than that.

I agree with you there! There's no way I would have stayed in that place like that.
And the woman behind the camera was joking about their lungs hurting the next day! cookoo

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AAahhhhh hell.. everybody knows exhaust smoke only causes cancer and breathing problem in California.. as soon as you pass the state line it's healthy to breathe. [If you go south, that is]

We are all worried about their lung health, but when the hopped up engine grenades it will probably kill everyone anyway.. as for no radiator... break it in fast.. it won't live long anyway.... I don't know where the run was done, but looked to me like the shop was cold enough that it likely wasn't an issue... perhaps why they didn't open the garage doors and let the bad air out... they would have flash frozen solid... :eek:

racer30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MMM sweet smell....:puke: BUT...running with no coolant?cookoo Cumbustion chamber temps are verry high and to run it over 7 minute's. To much money spent to cook it on the first start. :eek: Verry nice build,;Sweet BUT I would never run a dry engine more than 30/60 seconds. :angel: About piston cutting, :dunno How about cutting the top and leave the outside rim of the piston stock, maby cut just to the injector spray deflector notch edge with a slight angle like the deflector outer angle is allready has? just a thought....:D

Last edited:

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The video was supposed to be for ten minutes, I think they all keeled over from CO poisoning. 110 thousands off the pistons would surely have destroyed the combustion spray cast indent, reduced the piston top to .460 thickness, not good. Sure would like to see the scuffed cylinder walls after running 7 minutes or more, no coolant circulation, whoa is me. All I can say is, GOOD LUCK with that engine. I wouldn't give them $20 for it.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I just watched a little bit but we are sure it didn't have coolant? Maybe it just didn't have a fan?

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
I just watched a little bit but we are sure it didn't have coolant? Maybe it just didn't have a fan?

When the vid first starts you can see the guys' leg through the grille when he is up on the truck. No radiator in there.
Later in the video one of them notes that the heads are starting to get pretty hot.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
***??!! Who in they're right mind stays in a small garage with that much exhaust?cookoo Brain damage is not on my list of things to do during a project. Nuff said.:D

He's going to need a metric ton of fuel/air to compensate for that crazy drop in compression with 0.110 off the piston crowns. Why 0.110? Any idea where he came up with that spec as a good idea? Seems so much of these mods are best guesses at this point. When more are built, tested, and proven (good or bad) more info on what works will be available.

Heath

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I watched this viedo again...:dunno Just looking for things I missed. At about 7 minutes one guy says the heads are 220 then 230 degrees. And someone syays they better shut it down cause the heads are getting hot... Sorry guys but that ship sailed back around 60 seconds. I really hope the pistons made it thru this but experiance tells me they did not. Nobody will ever know because these guys will not ever tear down this engine just to make sure. They will run the life out of it and then take it apart not knowing what or when something went wrong. When something fails a RCA (root cause analysis must be done or the repair wont be correctly done. Replacing parts is not a repair. Finding out why something failed and repairing it so it wont fail again in the way it did is a repair. Best of luck guys. Heres pulling for you. I really would like to see this build work out too. I enjoy watching and reading about someone doing what has not been done before. Thats how things change...

wmoguy

Reaction score
***??!! Who in they're right mind stays in a small garage with that much exhaust?cookoo Brain damage is not on my list of things to do during a project. Nuff said.:D

He's going to need a metric ton of fuel/air to compensate for that crazy drop in compression with 0.110 off the piston crowns. Why 0.110? Any idea where he came up with that spec as a good idea? Seems so much of these mods are best guesses at this point. When more are built, tested, and proven (good or bad) more info on what works will be available.

Heath

Heath I'm 100% with you on the craziness of staying in that shop inhaling those fumes. Not an intelligent move.

Wiith all due respect to everyone though, the part about guessing and building on some educated guesses, etc.... Isn't that how most great things (and failures) are identified, is by an idea, followed by some educated guesses? Just saying, the dude in my opinion deserves some credit for running with his idea, regardless of if the thing falls apart or ends up being a real powerhouse.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
He said they shaved .110 off the pistons!!:eek:

Yeah, that makes me feel better about the .060" off the ones I have.:eek:

Gary, IIRC he was the one that was looking for them here and that it was learned by the group that I have the installer tools for them.:D

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While I am thinking about it, they only took .100 off not .110 if that makes a bit of difference. Also aren't the piston tops built thicker on pistons now than the stock ones are? That would make a lot of difference...