First start of powerful Idi build...

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Iirc the compression is at like 17.5:1. I'm not positive though on that. I'd have to reread the thread.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
:eek:.. Why not try connecting the turbo to the intake manifold. Seems to me like the right thing to do. Somebody was in a hurry to listen to their build....:angel:

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Who can blame um? Lol. They had enough trouble with that thing. I'm sure they were excited...

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Uhh, the truck sounds alright, I'm shocked at them starting it in the shop like that w/o piping the exhaust outdoors. I was thinking the CR was claimed to be even lower than 17:1 on this truck. It will make good power once they have everything hooked up right, I just can't see it being a DD but you never know till you try it. I'm glad they got this thing running after the problems with the oil squirters, I was afraid they might have to give up or start all over on it. Kudos to them for hanging in there with it.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Diesel JD, I think you are right about the compression ratio. It mighta been more like 16.5:1...

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
What piston cooling jets did they need... I feel badly for them paying that high of a fee for jets that are free for the taking if you find an engine open in a wrecking yard. And yes... I have seen several open engines in the yards in so ca. Its just not the norm... I have not read up on this build because I don't view other sites. Only this oilburners site. Timing that rig might be a good thing to do too. Cutting 110 off the top of the pistons will surely drop the compression but.. I'm afraid they are going to ruin the top ring because there isn't enough material above it to disapate the combustion heat.. Thin aluminum melts faster than thick aluminum that can spead heat thru disapation .... We will see I guess...:dunno

FordGuy100

Reaction score
What piston cooling jets did they need... I feel badly for them paying that high of a fee for jets that are free for the taking if you find an engine open in a wrecking yard. And yes... I have seen several open engines in the yards in so ca. Its just not the norm... I have not read up on this build because I don't view other sites. Only this oilburners site. Timing that rig might be a good thing to do too. Cutting 110 off the top of the pistons will surely drop the compression but.. I'm afraid they are going to ruin the top ring because there isn't enough material above it to disapate the combustion heat.. Thin aluminum melts faster than thick aluminum that can spead heat thru disapation .... We will see I guess...:dunno

They needed the early style push in ones (only on early 6.9's). Not the later bolt in style.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score

What about if the pistons were ceramic coated? Wouldn't that help quite a bit? Also if they aren't coated, how much is the max you would recommend taking off a piston?

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a powerstrokes compression is down there, but they are DI...
I know theres a audio clip of ken trying to cold start a low compression idi but who knows what is going on there :dunno

I didn't even notice the turbo wasn't plumbed in LOL. I had a sneaking suspicion with all that smoke though

RANOVRU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im thinking that the harm done to everyone in the shop in that vid was about equivillent to smoking a carton of ciggs in seven and a half minutes. Not to mention it cuts down the quality of the vid quite a lot.

Dont know anything about the truck/build but would like to see it when finished.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online