First start after mixed oil/coolant

steelheadguy

Registered Idiot
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Last year I did some trading and ended up with a 84 6.9 f250 auto with a garret turbo. I got it for almost free because there was oil mixing in the coolant and the coolant reservoir overflowed making a mess of everything. The PO wasnt mechanically inclined and just wanted it gone.

Well I finally rebuilt the oil cooler and cleaned up what I could. I took the radiator out and flushed it. Gave the my 86 f350 an oil change and reused the old oil and filter on this 84 f250.

Right away the radiator cap was leaking and dumping out to the reservoir. I took a video with the cap off. Does this look like something is clogged?

Another question, I have it filled with just water for testing. Its going to get down to 16F tonight. Should I drain it?

Last edited:

steelheadguy

Registered Idiot
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haven’t seen the video yet but it sure sounds like a blown headgasket.
Im crossing my fingers and hoping it was the oil cooler. Anyway to tell the difference between a head gasket or oil cooler mixing? The cooler Orings were shot when I took it off.

Edit: after warming up and putting a good radiator cap on, the reservoir is filling and bubbling.....

Last edited:

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im crossing my fingers and hoping it was the oil cooler. Anyway to tell the difference between a head gasket or oil cooler mixing? The cooler Orings were shot when I took it off.

Edit: after warming up and putting a good radiator cap on, the reservoir is filling and bubbling.....
Well there’s your issue, head gasket it is then:(

steelheadguy

Registered Idiot
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cmon someone feed my head gasket denial.

I popped off the bottom rad hose and plugged in the block heater for the night. I dont care, I'm filling it back up and trying again tomorrow.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just keep in mind that if you have a failure across the fire ring (which is what yours sounds like) you will torch the deck of the block pretty quick running it like that

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I hate to say it, but I'm with Wes on this one... if it was the oil cooler, there would be oil mixing, but not bubbling and pressure.

A head gasket might mix, but it will cause the pressure and bubbles you are seeing......

Remember, oil pressure, even when the engine is cold, is a liquid, pushing through as small defect in the o-ring at maybe 60ish pounds, the compression, since it runs, is close to 300+ PSI.........

Also, the block heater, heats the liquid coolant in the block, so it will only work if there is a liquid for it to heat.... If you drain it out, and there is no coolant surrounding the element, no heat.....

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, head gaskets. Not that big a deal, but a bit of a pain. Can be done in-frame or pulled, and I'm not sure which is easier.
Might be better just to pull it and take care of other seals at the same time.

steelheadguy

Registered Idiot
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:( I dont have a garage or lift and winter is here. Ive never done a head gasket before. Might just be a parts truck unless I work up the motivation in the spring.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’d look into finding a running engine for sale near you, might be easier for you to swap in a different engine

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
At thee shop I used to work at, our rule was is its just one head, pull it in frame. If both heads, it's easier to pull the engine out and work on it on a stand. It was actually just as fast or faster pulling the engine out. If wintertime work is a problem, it will wait until spring. It's not like the truck will run off.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online