First piece of the puzzle?

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
Scored a IR air starter for a Detroit diesel for $100. Now I need to find a 4-53t or 4-53 natural core for my repower(hint hint).

Freight_Train

Reaction score
Here is the pictures.Little dirty but.....it was on a detroit!!!

That muffler will HAVE to go!

Attachments

• IMG_1421.JPG
    IMG_1421.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1422.JPG
    IMG_1422.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1423.JPG
    IMG_1423.JPG
    47.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1424.JPG
    IMG_1424.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 5

Gary79F250

The Bawston Whalah
Reaction score
Why, may i ask, Would you want an air starter? Im all about detroit noise and non electronic, but i don't get it. I have worked on a few of the old US Postal Service Mack's with air starters and for anything that sits for a while they realy do not work out that well. Also, how many people have on board air with a hose (with correct fittings) vs the number of people with jumper cables.

I didn't mean to jump down your throat, Im just curious.

Freight_Train

Reaction score
well......I can always hook into a semi truck if I need a "Jump" or shop air where I work.Used my deuce and a half for shop air at home if my onboard electric compressor goes out(will also have a engine run compressor).Push come shove.......bicycle pump and about 10 hours.........

Freightrain

Just "B" it........
Reaction score
Always wanted to put air start on the ol Mack. That would give the neighbors something to complain about!!! Just don't have room for another tank to run it.

Maybe in the next century when I get to stretch it and put a sleeper on it, I'll add a tank.

Haulinhazmat

Reaction score
Let's see, Batt's dead got to find jumper cables, than some one to stop and let you hook up to his batt's, oh no you might damage my alt. See ya. on the other hand with air start you get your air hose and drain down your 4-6 -8 or 10 air storage units (Tires) start her up, air up your tires and off you go. Keeps your tires at proper pressure. Been there, Done that.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow! Be certain you have a lot of air (not just pressure but volume) with that rig at all times. Maybe carry a large CO2 tank as well. It takes a lot of air to make that sucker work. You'll likely only have less than 10 or 15 seconds worth of cranking before you've used it up. Dad's has been around air starter equipment for years and HATES them. Especially if you need to bleed the fuel system;Really! Good Lord that could take forever.

I'm really not trying to rain on your parade. It is a cool idea, but not real practical for a daily driven rig.

Heath

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
just so you know.... we use the same equiptment.
That is a vane starter.
Max 100psi, and it MUST be clean.
The other part is an SRV valve from IR.
It is an air relay, that hookup on the side has constant pressure on your switch, when you push the button/throw the switch, the air hits the bottom fitting and lifts a diapghram thus opening the valve.
IR calls the part number SRV 100 for one inch, SRV 150 for inch and a half, etc.

anyway. they are both easily rebuildable.
Drew

Last edited:

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
ohh and case your interested, the push start we use to trip that SRV valve is IR part SMB-618 "Valve with White Knob"

bigoilburner19

Reaction score
hey freight train now i was lookin for a air starter for my 6.9 international would u think i could have a tank small enough but holds a crap load of air? or is it not possible

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
big oil burner, that is a 1inch pipe feeding it. They take ALOT of air. I could get you the specs if you are really interested (don't waste my time if you aren't serious).

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
if ya really want I can video tape me starting one of the detroits here on the boat.
Same starter, same equiptment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance