Firewall Reinforcement plates POLL!

Would you pay more for a powder coated Firewall plate?

• Yes

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • No

Votes: 11 73.3%

• Total voters

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
OK guys I am getting closer to releasing these. I have both the smaller plate and the large plate out for testing. I have a small batch of each in various phases of production and once I have a set of instructions they will be released for sale on my website.

As long as there are no major changes to the patterns and designs here is where I stand for pricing.

Priced in Bare unpainted steel

Small Plate 83-87 $35.00 + $5 shipping any where in the lower 48

Large Plate 83-91 w/ clamp plates $100.00 + $8 shipping anywhere in the lower 48

Please do not reply to this thread and say i want one where do i send payment. When they are released you can purchase them directly from my website.

Http://www.terrapinmfg.com

That being said...the purpose of this thread is to find out if you would be willing to pay more for a powder coated part?

Due to the nature and pricing its is much cheaper to have it done on a lot of parts at once so to do it on an individual basis is not going to happen.

IH_444

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just curious, about how much more would it be for powder coat? I think I'd shell a bit extra since I plan to keep the truck a long time.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
How much more?? Like i said earlier grey krylon works for me but powder coating is better so if its reasonable ill go with the powder coating. Does the powder come in IH grey?

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
at this point i have no idea, but i suspect it could easily be $10-$20/part. I am going to try and make some inquirys and find a local place....

Personally the one i will put in my personal truck will just be painted with a coat of Rustoleum Appliance Epoxy. Ive used it on various things and it works very well and wont chip off like most cheap spray paint..

powder coating would be black only.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
craftsman makes a powder coating gun, all you have to do with it is bake the parts in the oven for a little while....

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
craftsman makes a powder coating gun, all you have to do with it is bake the parts in the oven for a little while....

If someone wanted to do their own that way, I'm sure that would be ***** dory, but for him to try and do a lot of the things that way and recover costs, and time, it would probably wind up cheaper to just send a whole lot out at a time and have them done

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I don't have one of the effected year trucks at the moment, so this is from the peanut gallery, but I would think folks would want to be able to paint them to match colour schemes they have going. Your price is quite reasonable for those contraptions either way , but you ought to consider, times being what they are, if the parts are X amount of dollars less, you will for sure be able to sell a whole lot more of them.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't have one of the effected year trucks at the moment, so this is from the peanut gallery, but I would think folks would want to be able to paint them to match colour schemes they have going.
Only thing is, if it definitely DOES go inside the cab/under the dash, it's something that should by all rights never be seen. Given that, color probably won't be a big deal....but I could be mistaken also LOL

As to the original question, powder coating is probably going to be the best way to prevent rust, but there is the $$ factor and the simple fact that things are tight....I honestly can't decide which way to vote...

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score

yea i don't have the room to add even a small powder coating setup to my shop right now so i will not be doing them myself. not to mention you should not be doing it in the oven in the kitchen.

and yes warden it definitely does go inside the cab and its up under there to the point you wont really see it at all.

M

maxdiesel

The underside of my truck has rotted out pretty badly from road salt and PO neglect. I had the pedal assembly out to replace the swing pedal bracket. I didn't see a rust problem in the area that the reinforcement plate would go. So I would say not to powder coat because of cost and not gaining much in part life.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think if I were in your shoes, I would send them out in glossy gray. Offering them in bare metal is fine in my book, but if I were making them and selling them I would want them to look 'finished'. So I would be selling them painted to satisfy my desire to produce a quality product. Your never going to pick a color or finish that is going to please everyone, so I would just put them in something that is easy to cover up with what the end user desires. Knowing that someone might not use it right away, I wouldn't want them laying around getting rusty either. Powder coating is nice, but once you tighten the nuts it might chip off. :dunno Either way, painted or unpainted, powder coated or bare, we sure are glad you can do this!

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I say no..... Now if it were like $0.50 or $1 more, then sure. But for $10-20 bucks for a nice shiney powder coat finish that will never been seen......nah.

I'd just paint them with a few good coats of flat black and call it good.;Sweet

Heath

IH_444

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I say no..... Now if it were like $0.50 or $1 more, then sure. But for $10-20 bucks for a nice shiney powder coat finish that will never been seen......nah.

I'd just paint them with a few good coats of flat black and call it good.;Sweet

Heath

Yeah. There usually isn't a rust issue inside the cab.

Chevyboy_0

Mr.SunnyDisposition
Reaction score

Whatever you do DO NOT bake the parts in the oven you prepare food in!

when you cure the powder coating it releases chemicals and other particles that stick to the inside walls of the oven, so the next time you go to prepare food you will get not so good chemicals in the food!