96 f350 rear fuel tank skid plate and tank straps

yotekiller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So working on this 96 i ended up with that needed more work than i thought, so onward we press.
seen the rear fuel tank skid plate or cover is completely shot and need the rear tank straps and im sure bolts when i get into that mess.
anyone have an idea on where to get a tank skid plate i am guessing that is what it is called, its more of a cover that contours with the tank instead of just a flat steel plates.. And tank straps i believe rockauto has those best i can tell..
Thanks for any and all advice/Info...

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't know those had skid plates. Is it a bronco 33gal tank under there? Or did they decide that a spare tire isn't sufficient for a skid plate?

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tossed the tank "skid plates" long ago. I believe they helped speed up the rusting process. I used spectra tank for both the rear and midship tanks.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You might consider changing to plastic \ poly tanks to avoid rust and keep those plates in place because the spare tire mounts against them.

yotekiller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks gentlemen
that truck has an 11ft flat bed, it was a cab and chassie set up from the factory.. the rear tank isn't flat the metal plate resembles a U just not exaggerated like a U shape if that makes sense and no spare tire most the time trucks used for farms those usually disappear lol this one is no different..
the tank is good and clean inside and after further inspection i realized WHY it wasn't being used, the front of the plate and the straps are shot..
this won't be to big a deal i just have top inspect it closer to make sure tank straps hold it up and not just the metal U shaped plate..

Thanks everyone for your advice. it sure helps alot.. i thought i had a pic of that on here, guess not will post that from my phone so it makes more sense.

yotekiller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is pic from the rear of truck

Attachments

• 20221006_173650.jpg
    20221006_173650.jpg
    324.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 20221006_173650.jpg
    20221006_173650.jpg
    324.1 KB · Views: 9

yotekiller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's more like a bronco tank than a regular truck tank. It probably never had a spare tire there. @greenskeeper has the best advice for a replacement then.
yeah while under that thing it didn't appear to have a spare tire hanger so it made me wonder usually those don't last very long... very good possibility all i need is to scrap the shield and have new straps.. I used a spectra tank on my 89 IDI it was 38 gallon tank got rid of mid tank on the 89 truck.
with this one i would like to keep both tanks if i can since it is a new model..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
E Moeller

Members online