FIPL driving me insane

torinoracer29

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok guys about 36000 miles ago I bought and installed a ford factory rebuilt transmission E4OD and since then I have had alot of trouble with the fipl sensor. I have changed it twice with new ones from ford and have adjusted it through the entire range of .96 volts at idle to 1.22 volts at idle and I am still getting the flashing o/d light and goes into limp mode on the slightest incline. I am at wits end with this thing and am beginning to think that the pcm needs reprogramming for the updated trans not sure so therefore I am turning to you guys for some assistance. PLEASE HELP!!!!!-cuss

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Years ago my truck did the simalar thing but at usually 45 minutes of driving.... I changed everything from the trans at $2800.00 to the cpu at $600.00. Then the tps at $200.00. All this work was done at three differant dealers because each one couldn't fit the problem. I even drove to Phenoix from Ca. because some guy on ALLDATA said he could fit it... Nope...:mad:-cuss So after all this expense I'm asking on TDS forum and a member tells me to clean all the electric connections with contact cleaner thats harmless to plastic... Let dry and grease with die-electric grease the connections... Problem fixed for around $6.00....:eek: I wrote a letter to ford customer service.... You guessed it... No help but the reason was worse than the money wasted... They told me because I went to three differant dealerships they would not reimberse me anything. I SHOUL have returned to the first dealer and told them to fix it.....:eek::eek::D:moon::fight:-cuss:cry::frustrate So I've never been back in a dealership garage since then. Plus all of those dealerships are now closed several years... I sure hope my small complaint added to the closures in some little way.... I smile now as I drive by the closed down lots but saddened by the loss of jobs too... Now for a location of said electrical connections. Under the master cylinder you will find three in a bundle. Then on the passenger side of the trans behind a heat shield is the one main trans plug. Make sure you replace the shield if when you take it off. Do not leave it off or the exhaust pipe heat will melt the plastic plug... Thats a mess right there... On the top of the tailshaft is another 2 connections and on the drivers side is another connection. In all you have 6 or 7 connections. Use a tooth brush to get into the connections. A steel wire brush may short out some issues or remove the battery cable. Use the small spray tip to get into the pins on the connections really well. Watch out for crap getting in your mouth and eyes. Everything your cleaning is above you and gravity sucks.....

torinoracer29

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok I have cleaned all electrical connections mentioned although none were dirty or corroded and just took it for a ride and it did the same as before on a slight incline limp mode again. Anymore suggestions

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What year truck and engine?
Is your tach working flawlessly?
Is your speedo working flawlessly?
Both have to work or flashing OD and limp mode. You could read the code(s) by the KOEO method.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On level ground, check the fluid level, with a hot tranny it should be up to the full mark. Going up an incline is what is baffaling.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you changed the fluid since installing the tranny? Did you have the pan off and changed the filter? If you changed the filter, did you make sure to pull the seal out from the old filter?

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Could it be related to a bad TOT (trans temp sensor) in the solenoid pack? Maybe as the trans heats up going up a grade, the TOT decides to take a dump.

When my TOT went, it would shift from 2nd straight through third and into overdrive and I couldn't cancel it. Major lugging.

Just a possible thought.

torinoracer29

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have not changed the fluid yet. baffling is a understatement. i dont want to go to the dealer and get ***** over this deal.

torinoracer29

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could it be related to a bad TOT (trans temp sensor) in the solenoid pack? Maybe as the trans heats up going up a grade, the TOT decides to take a dump.

When my TOT went, it would shift from 2nd straight through third and into overdrive and I couldn't cancel it. Major lugging.

Just a possible thought.

it does it cold and hot.

torinoracer29

Full Access Member
Reaction score
has anybody ever heard of getting your pcm reprogrammed from ford for new shift data. they call it flash burning your pcm or something like that. I have been told that is what I may need.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
The Ford reman TCM will have the 94 shift program. That was the last program for these vehicles.

Reflashing is for the newer vehicles 95 and up anything PCM driven.