Finnally running my 7.3idi with Omega Moose pump

76ford466

Another member
Reaction score
Well after about 2 1/2 years of working on it here and there I got my 92 F350 crew cab long bed running. It isn't finished by no means but I have put 300 miles on it so far. Now I know descriptions without video and pictures is hard to prove. But they will come. Heres the run down on the build. 88 7.3 idi with 120K completely rebuilt. 0.030 overbore. New Mahle 0.020 shorter coated pistons. New rings and bearings throughout. ARP head studs torqued to what arp recommends because the guys who make these parts have way more expensive testing equipment than super mechanic Joe who likes to give it an extra turn. Delta Cams reground cam, I think its very similar to the type4 cam. Ported stock heads, new stainless valves. Comp 910 springs set to the same height. factory turbo motor up pipe. Hooked to a HE351CW from a 06ish dodge Cummins ported ehaust entry and wastegate. Silencer ring removed. 99 psd intercooler. Built my own 3" aluminum piping. to a modified ats trubo hat. Moose Mister injectors, Omega Moose pump. Got it from a guy on here think it may be the original one. Factory in tank gas efi pump regulated with bypass reg. Filtered by to spin on filters. 3" down pipe to 4" basically a modified stainless 7.3 psd system. No muffler. stock ZF5 trans. LUK clutch plate and flywheel with dual friction style clutch plate. Drove it with the stock pump maxed out and results didn't really impress me that much. 16 psi max barley touched 900 egt. almost no smoke though. Put the Omega on it and its a whole different deal. Still need to time it properly. So far it runs 20psi easy. Way too much fuel below about 1800-2000 pulls great at 2400-2800 3000 it falls off. you can run it ******* a hill and it runs 25psi. I hooked a trailer about 6,000# to it to get an idea how it will do and up a hill in 4th running about 2800 it blew an intercooler boot at 28psi and 1100egt. So im pleased with it so far. I have a couple oil leaks to fix and some tuning to do.

ps. If you are wondering if its fast. No it isn't. Its a boat of a truck and isn't fast nor will it ever be. But is a big improvement over a stock idi. I would put it right there with a obs power stroke with maybe a tow tune.Does sound cool though with the turbo whistle.

Last edited:

76ford466

Another member
Reaction score
If I had a smart phone it would be so much easier to prove this. Oh by the way that oil leak is going to be a pain the oil pan to front and rear cover are leaking. dang it man may have to pull it to fix.

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome!
I would be very interested to see your intercooler piping and hat modifications.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I had a smart phone it would be so much easier to prove this.

I don't think youre a liar, but if it makes you get a video, faster.. ill call BS! someone you know must have a smrt fone.

Oh by the way that oil leak is going to be a pain the oil pan to front and rear cover are leaking. dang it man may have to pull it to fix.

and that right there, is the infamous rabbit hole.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
someone else without a smart phone! i don't feel so alone.both the young guys i have working for me.......yup. then there's me with a basic little flip open tracfone.:D
what i wanna know is,who can they call that's so smart anyway? :rotflmao

that's a lot of moose juice.happy truck'n.;Sweet

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So what's your fuel pump setup agian? Am i reading it right, that you are using a gasser in tank setup with it regulated to the correct fuel pressure? If so, this is an interesting idea. How would a gasser fuel pump last with diesel fuel?

76ford466

Another member
Reaction score
The fuel pump setup works but in hind sight I would do it differently. I just cut the filler neck out for the larger diesel nozzle, then dropped the tank put in a new in tank replacement unit as the stock one was shot. Its a dual tank truck. The return line is where it gets tricky. On 92 and later trucks they have a valve built into each in tank unit that has to reach a certain pressure to open up on the return side. This pressure is higher than the 5 psi needed to run the db2. So wont work. What I did is ran a 3/8 return line back to a 2 way selector valve for a marine boat tank. Then put a bulkhead connector in the top of the fuel tank and hooked the line to it. This way it will switch between tanks. But I have yet to install the rear tank return so im running the front tank for now. The supply side I used two Napa filter bases and put a fuel water separator and a fuel filter in line before the pump mounted them under the bed for easy access. Used common part numbers so I can get them basically anywhere. Then on to the regulator and the pump, its a Malory regulator I will find the part numbers later. But I think looking back a fuel tank sump and a holley pump with a regulated return would been just as easy but I was after cheap and simple at the time. Im not sure how the stock pump wil handle cold diesel just yet. We will see I guess. here is an old not so clear picture of the filters. right behind the cab.
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
About these oil pan to cover leaks.. By any chance did you install an oil pan gasket because it came in the gasket kit??? If so there is the reason for the leaks. These engines NEVER had an oil pan gasket. International used a quality RTV and todays RTV is far superior to that. So p[lease pull the engine and set it on a stand. then remove the "gasket" and clean it many times till white tissue comes back clean. Then do it again with brakeclean or alcohol but DO NOT WIPE IT OFF. Let it dry. Then use RTV and add a little more in those suspect corners where the cover, block and oil pan meet up. Those are famous for causing leaks. BTW a tooth brush is great for cleaning these crevices out. Really sorry you have these leaks because you MUST pull engine to fix them if a pan gasket was used. If no pan gasket used then you can leave engine in frame and repair easily.

76ford466

Another member
Reaction score
Here is my current update. Truck is undergoing some changes. The boost started degrading I cranked the waste gate shut and still no improvement. The he351cw turbo turned out to be sized wrong for this application. It started eating at the sides of the compressor cover after about 700 miles. This was due to two causes I think one being I bought a used turbo from a guy who had a turned up dodge that upgraded to a bigger one so it had been ran hard. Two to the fact that I had way too much drive pressure from the larger displacement and higher engine rpm than the cummins 5.9. While the turbo is off I tested the fuel transfer pump flow. It was way low. So I wouldn't recommend the in tank setup to anyone over a stock motor. At 45 degrees outside and a fully charged battery through two filters into a gallon jug it did 17.5 gallons per hour. Not enough. So im going to guess at WOT I had zero fuel pressure. So I ordered a Carter external fuel pump that requires a regulator and a Diesel Rx tank sump. I cut the 2" hole in the front tank and installed bolted the pump to the frame rail and used the factory in tank wiring to power it. Retested on the same day same temp outside. 65 gallons per hour. took 55 seconds to fill the jug. Much better I feel this is plenty adequate. I have a return style bypass regulator so it will constantly filter the fuel and return it to the tank. I will use the rear tank for storage and put the outlet line into the front tank to fill it when the front tank runs low. I havnt go that far yet but that's the plan. The turbo is being rebuilt to larger specs. I did talk to Mel about his new Mooseboost. it sounds great and I even spoke to a guy on here with a 6.9,forgot his name sorry, if you read this remind me of your name I lost service when I was on the phone. I think he had the turbo priced fine for the quality of charger but unfortunately I don't really have the funds to get it at this point. So a rebuild of my charger is underway. I will update with the specs and results soon. Also im resealing the entire front cover to make sure I get the leak, I think it was the front seal due to a worn balancer but im doing it all to be sure.

I may go on a ramble about turbos too when I get a chance. Im no expert but I have been interested in them lately.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is my current update. Truck is undergoing some changes. The boost started degrading I cranked the waste gate shut and still no improvement. The he351cw turbo turned out to be sized wrong for this application. It started eating at the sides of the compressor cover after about 700 miles. This was due to two causes I think one being I bought a used turbo from a guy who had a turned up dodge that upgraded to a bigger one so it had been ran hard. Two to the fact that I had way too much drive pressure from the larger displacement and higher engine rpm than the cummins 5.9. While the turbo is off I tested the fuel transfer pump flow. It was way low. So I wouldn't recommend the in tank setup to anyone over a stock motor. At 45 degrees outside and a fully charged battery through two filters into a gallon jug it did 17.5 gallons per hour. Not enough. So im going to guess at WOT I had zero fuel pressure. So I ordered a Carter external fuel pump that requires a regulator and a Diesel Rx tank sump. I cut the 2" hole in the front tank and installed bolted the pump to the frame rail and used the factory in tank wiring to power it. Retested on the same day same temp outside. 65 gallons per hour. took 55 seconds to fill the jug. Much better I feel this is plenty adequate. I have a return style bypass regulator so it will constantly filter the fuel and return it to the tank. I will use the rear tank for storage and put the outlet line into the front tank to fill it when the front tank runs low. I havnt go that far yet but that's the plan. The turbo is being rebuilt to larger specs. I did talk to Mel about his new Mooseboost. it sounds great and I even spoke to a guy on here with a 6.9,forgot his name sorry, if you read this remind me of your name I lost service when I was on the phone. I think he had the turbo priced fine for the quality of charger but unfortunately I don't really have the funds to get it at this point. So a rebuild of my charger is underway. I will update with the specs and results soon. Also im resealing the entire front cover to make sure I get the leak, I think it was the front seal due to a worn balancer but im doing it all to be sure.

I may go on a ramble about turbos too when I get a chance. Im no expert but I have been interested in them lately.

Thanks for the update. Out of curiosity, what is being made bigger on the turbo? The hot side wheel and housing? Also upgrading the compressor as well?

Also after its back together, any plans to dyno it?

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Put some RTV under the washer on the damper bolt to keep oil from leaking past the keyway.

76ford466

Another member
Reaction score
here is some pictures of it. Still waiting on my turbo.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads