Finnally running my 7.3idi with Omega Moose pump

76ford466

Another member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
here's my grill I had to use this to clear the intercooler. But I like it better I think. My eBay headlight they didn't fit very well by the way.
There is my dad helping me get it running for the first time. I keep him busy since he retired lol. As you can see I have way too much junk in the garage. That top shelf is full of spare and broken truck pulling parts mostly.

Last edited:

76ford466

Another member
Reaction score
The turbo will be the same one I had with a new exhaust turbine wheel and shaft, new bearings, and a new compressor wheel. The housings will be machined to work with the larger wheels on both sides. I had already enlarged the waste gate port and the transfer slot in the exhaust housing as well as port matched the turbine inlet to the gasket size. It will be a 64.5 mm inlet comp wheel with. A 67mm exducer on the exhaust side if I'm remembering right I lost my paper with all my numbers on it. Should still spool good as it will retain the very small exhaust housing as far are a/r ratios go. Just will have to try and see how it does.

76ford466

Another member
Reaction score
Heres some more turbo info if your interested. A stock he351cw this is the non VGT turbo. Is a 60mm inducer by 82mm compressor wheel. The exhaust side is 59mmx68mm. The smaller number is the outlet. Has an internal waste gate regulated by a traditional style waste gate with a electronic controlled solenoid to send air to it. I have deleted this function. Built a spring style gate that is adjustable. I had to clock the housings to make them work. The compressor cover is held on by a large snap ring with is a pain to get to clock the housing. the exhaust side is a lot easier with a regular v band clamp. The exhaust housing is a 9cm2 so as to spool up quickly. On the idi application the comp side is marginal as the stock 5.9 makes 300hp cleanly. It flows about 850cfm maxed out. But that is out of it effecenty range and will cut the life of the turbo. The exhaust is way small but it did spool right off idle mostly. Seemed to be choked above 2600 when driving. Now a powerstroke 7.3 turbo is sized at 60mmx80mm comp and 70x76 on the exhaust with 1.15 housing non gated on the obs and 0.85 waste gated on the 99 newer. for you perfectionist there is a difference in the exhaust wheel in the two turbos but it is small. Now that turbo is decent for the application up to slightly modified such as 160cc inj and not running the junk out of it everyday. the popular gtp38 upgrade is a 66x88 compressor wheel and ball bearing center usually a 1.0 waste gated ex side. Im not positive but I think its the stock size ex wheel in it. The d66 beans style turbo is the 66x88 comp on the older frame non ball bearing. Which I think is fine and millions of stock turbos in everything from cars to semis came with journal bearings as long as its a street application. these 66x88 turbos flows about 897cfm. the tp38 is rated at 767 cfm. The modified turbo im getting will be a 64.5x89mm comp which I don't know the flow rate of but should be about the same as a 38r but a slightly faster spool as it is a smaller inducer and tighter exhaust. the exhaust side will be 67x76mm 10 blade. The tp 38 is also a 10 blade turbine. As a comparison a HX40 is rated at 800 cfm and HX35 is 600 cfm. I am using cfm but most turbo companies and charts use lb/min flow rate which is more exact as cfm is temperature related in the amount of actual air is there.

Last edited:

76ford466

Another member
Reaction score
here is a couple charts a tp38 and gtp38r and one explaining the lines

0 Xero 0

Reaction score
The holset is way too small for these engines. A larger exhaust wheel won't net you much because the exhaust housing on a 351 will always be your limiting factor. You can drill the waste gate port out to 1" and port the housing, but you still will end up choking out at upper engine speeds. You'd get a lot better results at mid- and high-range RPMs if you went to a 14 or 16 cm^2 exhaust housing. A HX-40, S363, or midsize Garrett like a GTP38 or a 4000 frame. Ball-bearings have less than five percent difference in spool-up. That's all hokum from turbo salespeople. Ball-bearings come into play when shaft speeds are in excess of 150000 RPMs and higher pressure ratios are needed (i.e. in the 3.5-4.5 range). I don't think you'll be happy with the HE351CW.

76ford466

Another member
Reaction score
You may be right, but I won't know until I try it. The larger wheel will flow more I think it should help a lot. Now the housing is tight with the 9cm almost a 0.68 ar if I remember right, but the port work should help and the way these injection pumps put out a bunch of fuel down low maybe it will clean up the smoke and make more usable power. Mostly I'm after trailer pulling power anyways. It will be towing a 12 to 13k trailer quit a bit when I'm done. My exhaust and intercooler piping is all setup for that turbo. So I thought from a money standpoint I would be better off trying to use it. If I went with a generic s300 frame the exhaust down pipe would be way different also the cold side pipes and the oil return. It may be one of those things where after its all done I look back and say wow wish I had spent the money to begin with when I first built it. But at the time I started the project I had a truck I was unhappy with the fuel mileage and performance from with the 460 and auto. Had a 88 f250 with the 7.3 and 5 speed so I did the transplant, found the turbo for $200. And I wasn't really planing on the full rebuild of the whole truck I ended up with.

0 Xero 0

Reaction score
I have a 12 valve cummins with this turbo and the exhaust housing is a choke point even on it and it has over one liter difference in displacement. The only difference with S-style turbos would be the downpipe flange. That's easy to change. You wouldn't have to do anything with the oil return or cold pipes. You can get those turbos with elbows built into the compressor covers like the HE351CW has. I'm just trying to give you some advice is all! You might consider a Taterbuilt HX40. He does some great work and it's affordable if you decide to go with something different. He can also modify other turbos too.

76ford466

Another member
Reaction score
https://youtu.be/VEuJojycR4Y here is a video like I promised awhile ago sorry the dang I pad case got in the way that's the red in the bottom. I borrowed the I pad, gone have to get me a smart phone yet. it's not with the new turbo as it isn't here still. But at least it's prof it runs, it was cold there so you guys know how the engines sound sorta funny cold. I will post more when it get it going of it driving and towing. I have a job waiting to haul a truck to pa soon as it's tested worth to go that far.

Last edited:

76ford466

Another member
Reaction score
Update! Been been busy with some family issues my grandmother who was very close to be passed away a couple weeks ago. But this Monday I did get excited to see a big box from the usps sitting at the door. It's my long awaited turbo. I got busy right away installing it. Since it was my turbo only rebuilt and modified internally then it wasn't bad at all to install exact that one bolt that's hard to reach, everyone knows that one in every project lol. Got it on and drove it to work that day. The sound was great at idle had a nice whistle, the sound driving was also nice much more of a correct sound than before. The thing spooled good slower than before but before it built boost crazing on flat ground. Now it did when a load was applied. Boost was 23 psi peak smoke was cleared up a lot still hazed but not terrible. I installed a drive psi gauge next day. Used a mechanical oil pressure gauge. The drive pressure fluttered badly for some reason maybe due to cylinder pluses or something. But it was slightly higher than boost and at full boost it was 32 drive. That night the second day in had it I got on it in fifth up a hill from about 55 I let the turbo come on and rolled into it about 75 mph the turbo started making noise. I made it home found the bearings going out chewing the housing. Less than 100 miles. Not a happy camper I tell you. Get was about 1,000 when it happened. Nothing seemed out of whack really in all of the gauges.

76ford466

Another member
Reaction score
So I drove it to the shop. Pulled the turbo next day both ex and comp wheels ate into the housings. At least it didn't explode. I checked oil pressure 28 idle 40 at 3000 with oil about 100 degrees. Oil flowed good from turbo supply line, I poured oil from a quart just into the return seemed to flow fine not backup, e oil port on the turbo I could blow through. So I don't know had a new air filter on it didn't see any damage on the wheels from derbies. Called the turbo rebuilder Turbo Lab and no one answered until Friday, he was on vacation won't be back til December ninth. So sucks for me but I can't hold it against him for taking a vacation. Just hope he will warranty it. I found some junk in the intake may have came from the used intercollegiate I installed I washed it out myself may should have too it and boiled it. So after eating two turbos I pulled the engine to rethink this who deal. It's getting torn down and inspected may even get a revised up pipe system. And a Borg Warner turbo. Already been pouring over compressor maps and pricing them.

76ford466

Another member
Reaction score
There it is out again. The clutch slipped some on it. I had a regular luc single mass flywheel with a custom disc ceramic metallic pucks on flywheel side and organic on pressure plate side. Regular Luke pressure plate which I think is the weak point not enough clamp load. Only slipped it hard once trying to pull out hard in second. It drove easy otherwise.

76ford466

Another member
Reaction score
Here is the latest. It's been awhile had a lot going on other thAn the truck lately. But the engine still at the machine shop they been backed up which is ok. The turbo situation is terrible. Turbo Lab will not answer me or call me. They have my turbo. I filed a better business bureau complaint on them having heard back from the Bbb either. So please do your self a favor and don't do business with these clowns posing as a legitimate business. Their bbb rating is f go look them up wish I had.

76ford466

Another member
Reaction score
I have also sent my omega moose pump back for a refresh since I bought it used. It's now back and the service and communication is professional like most of you know. I have purchased a clutch to hold this thing too. A South Bend 13 inch single with the wide facing. Got a custom disc made for it performance organic one side a s Feramic other side spring hub. Rated to 425rwhp 850 tq. So th the standard disc so maybe mine will be slightly beter

76ford466

Another member
Reaction score
Here is the disc. I got it direct from south bend. Only way you can change the options from the standard.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online