Finally gone and done it....

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
I snapped a few pics on the pit, at work. Then promptly left my camera on my desk. None of the exhaust pics turned out, anyhow. Probly good, as it wasn't my prettiest job, ever.

Yes, it runs very well. Made about 12.5, running around town, and 51 miles to Red Cloud, 65 most of the way. Made almost 14, from Ord to Minden, running 50-60, on the way home.

We were kinda on a convoy tour, coming home. An old Continental, a 23 track T, an 87 Chev stepside lowrider, a 54 Chev convertible, a 75 Nova, my 62 C-20, and a 69 Camaro, all in a row, running the 2-lanes through Nebraska.

I'm thinking that the NV4500, sitting in my shop, needs to replace the old 'bread truck' 4-speed.

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
Took it for a little turn this evening. Went out 2 miles east, and let it turn the truck around, while the front tires sat still. That steering wheel really moves, until it hits the stop. Got a pretty good squall into third, and a hard launch.

Wanted to to 2 1/2" all the way, but time restrictions left me with 2 1/4 glasspacks and tailpipes.

Attachments

• exhaust1.jpg
    exhaust1.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 6
  • exhaust2.jpg
    exhaust2.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 3
  • coool.jpg
    coool.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 3
  • left1.jpg
    left1.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 4
  • looking down.jpg
    looking down.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 11

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
A few more misc. pics. Still need to fabricate a fan shroud. I think it will pull my camper, without getting hot, if I get enough air through it.

Attachments

• inside.jpg
    inside.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 4
  • advertise.jpg
    advertise.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 4
  • looking up.jpg
    looking up.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 8
  • possum.jpg
    possum.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 3
  • right1.jpg
    right1.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
I'm having way too much fun, with this ole woodhauler. I'd hate to stick it in the shop very long, for body work, and not be able to drive it.

Still considering the 5-speed, but now that it's running, my attention is starting to wander toward other projects.

HeartbeatHauler

Reaction score
PackRat said:
I gotta do something with that damned ugly side box.
Go find a beater 62-64 truck, then shorten the cab and doors and add them to your current truck. It wouldn't be a full 4 door they would be smaller just enough to use a short bed behind it. If you're gonna do surgery on the inside, why not the outside too. A quad cab '62....:thumbsup:
JP

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
Actually, I was refering to the toolbox, not the bedsides.

Incidently, I just picked up a 68 shortbed, and a 73 3/4t, this weekend. I have a line on a 66 1/2t, but haven't gone to look at it, yet.

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
On the other hand....

I happen to know where there is a 70 'Burb just sitting around. Chop the top off the back, and add a detachable K-5 lid, and you've got a 35 year old Avalache.

WOJO 1

Reaction score
This project looks great. I have wanted to do something like this on a 72' but there never seems to be enough time or more importantly money. Good job. ;Sweet

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Nice looking truck! I don't agree with the Quadrajunk comment :angel: but to each his own. I have never installled an Eldebrock that didn't need adjusted, metering rods, jets etc., that being said, I have never seen a Quadrajet that didn't either, just a heck of a lot easier (my opinion of course) on a Eldebrock. At any rate, don't want to start an argument. Very cool truck - I agree though, you do need a big honking set of duals on that thing! Had a 402 in a 68 Camaro, was stolen and wrecked in a high speed pursuit. State patrolman said he couldn't run with it and that the chase exceeded 120 on more than one occaision. Ended up stuffed up under a guys Kenworth, he was asleep in the cab, killed the guy in the passenger seat. Was a good running motor though, that truck will like it I am sure!

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
Happy & sad. Both at the same time.

Figured it was easier to tie on the end of this, than start a new thread.

Did some re-evaluating, and decided to trim the fleet. The first family member to go was my 82 GMC wrecker. Local repair shop bought it. Was going to need a sizeable investment soon, as the old, injured 350, was getting really cranky. I'm going to miss the twin-line & wheel lift, but I got by before, and will again.

The upside is I paid off a couple notes at the bank. Which is a load off my mind. Might actually have the cash to fix up some other stuff.