Finally gone and done it....

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
Last spring, when I got rid of my 70 K-10, The guy didn't want the 402 big block, so I shoved it in the corner, and piled stuff on it.
Last week, A buddy of mine wanted a special(see special read pricey) tool that I had acquired several years ago, so we struck a deal.
Next Monday, my 62 Chevy C-20 is going under the knife, for a heart transplant. The tired. but utterly reliable, 261 is coming out, and the 402 is going in. I'd loved to have done it myself, but i just don't have the time, right now.
After a total reseal, new oil, new fuel pump, and a set of headman tight tube headers, i think the old rat will make itself right at home in the old truck.
For those of you that know better, I did have to get the small block bellhousing, since the 261 is indeed different.
With the original SM420 gearbox, and the 3.73 posi pumpkin, I should have an awesome unit to pull my 30' Prolwer 5th wheel.

Ya, I know its no 6BT, but what can I say. I good Rat deserves another, right?

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
Scored a good one today. Did a little swappin', and came up with a NV4500 to slide in behind the rat motor. ;Sweet
Guess I'll have a spare lefty 4-speed for the ole PackRat(49 Chvey 1 1/2t wrecker), after I get the damned brake cylinder to stop leakin'.:frustrate

I told someone the other day, "I can have a truck break down every day this week and not have to walk to work Monday."
When am I gonna learn to keep my trap shut?

Last edited:

dazedandconfused

Reaction score
Sounds cool, you will need to post soem pics of it when it is done! That will be one gass guzzling hauling ass old truck thought!

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
I'm not so sure. It made awesome mileage in my 70 4x4, with 4-speed, & 3.08's.
No lie. It made better mileage pulling than it did empty.
Well, until i put that junk-ass 750 edelbrock on. Then it started using 3 times more fuel, making half the power.
Gimmie a well built Q-jet anytime.

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
Profile...

I gotta do something with that damned ugly side box.

Attachments

• 62leftside.jpg
    62leftside.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
another 1...

For those of you that can't read really tiny and blurry, The tag says,
"Eat More Possum
North American Possum Breeders Association"

Attachments

• 62front.jpg
    62front.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 41

Ggg

Reaction score
Looking at the side shot, the poor 402 is going to be trying to exhale through a drinking straw. lol
Very nice looking truck though. I agree with your Q-jet comment. Are you going to upgrade the brakes before towing that 5er? I would not want to do that with early 60's technology 4 wheel drums, not to mention single reservoir master cylinder.

ISurvivedNMU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Re: Profile...

Originally posted by PackRat
I gotta do something with that damned ugly side box.

I have sen quite a few done with a differentcolor below the body line....... It would look sweet red and white.... With some shiny wheels..

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
Damn Ggg, now I got another problem to cover.
The brakes always worked great on it, but If I get in a jam, discs would be great. The only problem with that, is that the 62 has a hydraulic clutch, so the clutch/brake master is one unit. I guess I could engineer a mini hydrovac unit, and slap on a set of later hubs/spindles. If I'm not mistaken, I can use the later ball joints, and its pretty much a bolt-up deal, minus plumbing.
Hell while I'm at it, that would be the perfect time to put power steering on, too.
Oh ya, by side box, I mean side tool box.

Last edited:

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
:rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao
I just spotted what you were talking about on the exhaust Ggg. Those pics are before, with the 6-banger still inside.

I thought you were refering to my unscrewed torsion bars on the front end. That is 12 turns down from stock height, by the way.
I haven't decided what to do with the exhaust, yet. I do a little custom bending for the diesel shop here, so access to a bender is not a problem.

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
After not getting much done all winter, other that pulling the 261, the 62 WILL be on the road this weekend. Leaving Friday, for a rod run in Ord, NE.

It has been fighting me all the way.
Took 3 tries to get the motor mounts right.
The 12" clutch hit the bellhousing, and had to make an 1/8" shim, for between the block and bellhousing.
The bellhousing moved the drivleine back, so had to find a shorter shaft, and use conversion joints. Had to drive to Beloit, to get the 2nd joint.
Had to fabricate, and install a custom line, for the hydraulic clutch.
The headers wouldn't clear a regular GM starter, so took 2 tries to find a good used late model starter that was functional.
Got it started, and the fuel pump leaked. Found out it was a car pump, when I went to the parts shop, and got the wrong one, first.
Got the "Speedy Bill's" radiator installed, then had to custom fab the lower hose.
Filled the radiator, and the low mileage water pump drizzled on the floor. Tomorrow, I'm headed down to pick up a water pump.
Rerouted a bunch of wires, and cleaned up the old harness. After the water pump, I get to finish up the wiring.
All I have to do after that, is bend up some custom out-pipes, and mount up a new set of used tires, on aluminum 16" 10-hole modulars, and clean the half-ton of junk out of the back, and give it a bath and broom out.

I'm planning on leaving Friday morning. Any bets?

Did I mention that I still have to work through Thursday, do an exhaust job, for Tim, some evening, and find time to pack up supplies for a 4 day trip?

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
ISurvivedNMU said:
I have sen quite a few done with a differentcolor below the body line....... It would look sweet red and white.... With some shiny wheels..

Actually, I was thinking flames.

I've got a set of 12 hole aluminum modulars, and some used Goodyears. Hope to get them mounted up tomorrow.

Got it mobile about 6 this evening. Drove it home, with nothing but stub pipes on the collectors. It was quieter to hang my head out the window. I wanted to go 2 1/2" duals, but didn't have a pair of glasspacks, so went 2 1/2 to the muffs, and 2 1/4" on the tailpipes. Dumped them out the side, in front of the back tires. If you've never been under one of these, take a good look. With the torsion bar front, and trailing arm/coil rear. The pipes had to come straight down, out to the torsion bars, in to the center at the trailing arm crossmember, follow along the arm, under the frame, and out in front of the rear wheel well.

Got started around 7:30, and finished near midnight. It isn't as pretty as I'd hoped, but at least I won't get gassed.

FYI. Wow! This engine was pretty stout, in a 4x4, with 3.08's. I can see way too much fun in my future, with 4x2, and 3.73 posi-track.

Still need to do the tires/wheels, install the tach, and do some major league cleanup. Maybe even have time to install some tunes. I might make the schedule, after all. LOL

I'll try to get some pics posted soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online