Finally Boosting the Slug

ISPKI

Welding/metallurgical engineer/Metalsmith
Reaction score
Hey guys. This past weekend, I landed a 2nd gen banks sidewinder kit that is believed to be complete or nearly complete off of a 1992 idi F Super duty. I am looking to hook this up to my late year 94 F250 N/A. Both vehicles had ZF5 transmissions. This kit came with the pancaked down pipe. I am not looking for a massive power gain but would it be worth replacing that downpipe with a custom made mandrel bent oval pipe? It was my understanding that the downpipe was a choke point in the system or is that really a non issue with this setup.

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

ISPKI

Reaction score
The kit came with a banks Dynafact gauge with a mangled pyrometer wire. I already have the same gauge that also needs a thermocouple probe. Would it make sense to use both to monitor each exhaust manifold separately or could one be used to monitor intake air temperature?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That kit uses a 2 3/4 downpipe, which is better than the factory turbo downpipe which is a major restriction. You can go bigger on the downpipe and may see some small gains, but the exhuast wheel of the turbo is going to be the bottle neck for the system no matter what and its smaller than 2.5".

ISPKI

Reaction score
Got it, thanks. I noticed that the pyrometer probe is in the middle of the downpipe. Wouldnt it be more accurate to put them in the exhaust manifolds? Does anyone have any recommendations on where to get new probes?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve got new probes in stock and bungs you can weld in to the crossover to get a more accurate reading.

ISPKI

Reaction score
Oh, wonderful. Could you PM me with info on the probes?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online