Finally blew it up......

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I thought hers was the factory turbo. I think a grommet itself might fix it, but not having seen it I can't be sure. It seems that if it leaked on the pressure side it wouldn't matter whether it was hot or cold. I think. If it is the turbo...how long does evergreen turbo warranty their work for? It seems like it shouldn't have gone bad this soon unless the workmanship was defective to begin with.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gare, if Sam's lucky, yes, it should. I know for sure she put in a new o-ring where the turbo meets the pedestal, and I bet the current issue is the valley pan grommet - I think when the engine is cold the grommet sits pretty tight around the pedestal drain tube, however once the engine warms up the grommet loosens up its grip and allows oil to leak out and flood the valley pan and spill everywhere from there. My friend's '86 had a similar issue with that grommet, no turbo on that engine so we never had an Exxon Valdez happen, but the CDR valve was very hard to pull in and out with the engine cold (I borrowed it for my truck once), but once the engine warmed up it was as if that grommet wasn't even there, very easy in and out of the CDR tube. Given that a turbo makes a whole lot of heat right in that area, I'd imagine the rubber grommet dries out faster on turbo trucks than it does on n/a engines.

RedTruck

Reaction score
I can't remember where I heard this, but either someone recommended it or it is suggested in the banks install manual that you run a bead of silicone around the grommet after you install the drain tube. I put a new valley pan on when I installed my turbo the first time and used that fancy stuff that comes with the valley pan. I used my finger to smooth it out and make sure it was all the way around the drain pipe.

I'm just throwing out ideas. I wish this thing was closer. I sincerely hope you can make it to the rally and the brotherhood can get you problem free for a while.

Paul

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I've noticed on my truck, blowby gasses increase slightly as the engine warms up. A blown valley pan grommit sounds possible considering whats happened, and yes it does get hot down there. What about the drain back problem of oil in the factory non turbo valley pans? Could this possibly be aggrivating the problem?

Also, the engine has a drain hole in the valley pan that catches anything and everything that drips on top of the engine. It ONLY drains down the passenger side of the engine because of how the drain in the block is cast. Any leaks from around the turbocharger and related parts will end up running down the rear passenger side of the engine.

What about oil pressure? does it build oil pressure? If not what does the sender look like?

This is killing me! some one throw another gallon of oil in that thing and do some checks!;Sweet:backoff

Its not that hard, won't take that much time and I think its not a major problem from what I've read so far.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
So.... If this turns out to be the pan grommet we can get sam back on the road without much cost. As I recall the drain in the pan going thru the block will only let oil or water flow over the passenger side of the block...:sly So this is sounding more and more like its just the valley pan grommet and not the turbo seals... Sure hope so for Sam's sake.... Heres looking at it that way and put some oil in it before running it again... No need to burn up a good motor....

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
So.... If this turns out to be the pan grommet we can get sam back on the road without much cost. As I recall the drain in the pan going thru the block will only let oil or water flow over the passenger side of the block...:sly So this is sounding more and more like its just the valley pan grommet and not the turbo seals... Sure hope so for Sam's sake.... Heres looking at it that way and put some oil in it before running it again... No need to burn up a good motor....

Simple cheap fixes kick butt!;Sweet

I think it's gonna cost more to degrease it than fix it.

trick I found with those grommets to keep em in place and leak free was to seal em in place with some RTV to the pan, then a coat of RTV on the drain tube going into grommet.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
We have a winner.....:thumbsup: I do the same thing when I'm installing my pan seal too. It makes me feel like I hae done all I can to eliminate any sourse for an oil leak in this area.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
We have a winner.....:thumbsup: I do the same thing when I'm installing my pan seal too. It makes me feel like I hae done all I can to eliminate any sourse for an oil leak in this area.

Yeppers. Goop the grommet in place, walk away and enjoy a cold beverage, come back and finish the job.
Haven't had to redo one yet.;Sweet

Cat_Rebel

Does not compute
Reaction score
I do have a spare valley pan just no grommet. (bought the pan just for the grommet on my truck)
You all think that pulling the turbo & valley pan off & clean everything good, punch some holes in the new pan to help it drain better then reinstall with RTV around grommet would fix it?

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hopefully, it will. Only I wouldn't do the holes with a punch (unless tis a hole stamping punch), I'd drill the ever living crap outta that valley pan instead :D

Cat_Rebel

Does not compute
Reaction score
Hopefully, it will. Only I wouldn't do the holes with a punch (unless tis a hole stamping punch), I'd drill the ever living crap outta that valley pan instead :D

I used a punch on mine since it was in the truck, easier to drill & get all the shavings out when it's out of the truck.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
An ice pick is the only real way of not getting metal shavings in the motor. These pans have several layers of baffles and the drilled metal shavings don't really wash out too well. Thats why the ice pick is best.....:sly

Cat_Rebel

Does not compute
Reaction score
An ice pick is the only real way of not getting metal shavings in the motor. These pans have several layers of baffles and the drilled metal shavings don't really wash out too well. Thats why the ice pick is best.....:sly

I went after mine with a sharp Awl & a ball peen hammer with a passion. :backoff

LOL

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah, I thought the valley pan will be modified outside the truck, and not while still in the engine. If it's still installed, then yah, of course punch away with the ice-pick :D

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am in KY too, live in Frankfort but I am in Lexington about 3 times a week. If you haven't had anyone help you yet on the truck I wouldn't mind helping a fellow FORD IDI owner. I wouldn't mind stopping in and looking at it for you. I would just have to know where it's at.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US

Members online