Finally blew it up......

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just read your Clutch/Trans Issues post. The ZF5 that I put in my truck was acting the same way as yours and I had a brand new Master and Slave Cylinder assembly. The little arm on mine had slipped on the splines of the pedal assembly and was not depressing the clutch all the way, I could pull up on my clutch pedal like it needed to be bled more but it was as bled as it was ever going to get. I got mine fixed by some welding and a die grinder to close the hole up in the arm more and it is great now. The only problem was the last person that had the engine transmission combo that is in my truck had driven it with the transmission that way for some time and now Reverse was crap. I could put it in reverse and 9 times out of 10 it would just grind when I let the clutch out. I finally got up the time and courage to go ahead and tear into the transmission against lots of advice and inside I found that Reverse Gear and the 5th/Revers Slider gear were both worn, not lettting it lock into reverse good. So I called to order the parts to fix it and it was going to be pretty expensive and I already had another ZF5 sitting here from a SBF so I tore it down (same rev and 5th/rev slider gear), took out the reverse gear and 5th/Rev Slide, put them into the diesel transmission, and then put it all back togethere. The worst part of the hole deal was getting the rear output bearing off the main shaft on both transmissions to get the gears off. The one on the diesel transmission just required a little bit of heating and a bearing puller and it slid off but the one on the gas transmission broke my bearing puller and I finally had to cut it off with a torch. All in all I had to buy 3 small plugs and a new rear output bearing for a total cost of $50, the transmission shop close to my house wanting $2200 for a rebuild even if I took the transmission out (crap on them). I hated to scrap a good ZF5 just for a couple gears but it doesn't seem that the SBF ZF5's aren't worth as much anyway and it is hard to get much for one around here, everyone that needs one needs one for a diesel.