Final Charge Coolant

agp23109

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone using Final Charge collant, from the makers of Fleet Charge? They say you never have to worry about sca's. any thoughts?

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Final Charge is basically an ELC version of FleetCharge. I know the OBS PSDs should NOT use ELC; something about some of the seals not being compatible. Not sure about the 6.9 / 7.3 IDI; def. something you'll want to look up.

And this sounds like a case of "never say never". I would still get a test strip and test it now and then. The whole point of SCA is that it is consumed over time to stop the cavitation process.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It lists harvester on the lable???
Just saw it at my local heavy truck jobber, only thing they had with sca in it at the time.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
Not trying to hijack, but is there a list of coolants somewhere that have SCAs added? I don't have any fleet/truck parts stores nearby that I know of and would like to find the correct coolant at O'Reilly's , VatoZone or Pep Boys.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
Never mind, I found a list on the FAQ. This is from 2005, some items may have been added , changed or deleted since then.

The following is a list of Coolants/additives that will prevent cavitation.

Ford or Motorcraft Premium Antifreeze · Motorcraft Premium Gold Antifreeze (does not require SCA/DCA)
· Texaco Antifreeze/Coolant
· Texaco Antifreeze/Coolant Pre-diluted 50/50
· Zerex 5/100 (white bottle) Antifreeze/Coolant
· Zerex Ready To Use Antifreeze/Coolant (premixed 50/50 with de-mineralized water)
· Zerex Heavy Duty Pre-charged Formula
· Shellzone Premium Quality Antifreeze
· Fleetguard Complete EG--pre-charged at 1.5 units/gallon DCA4
Also available premixed 50/50 with water with the same DCA4 level
Fleetguard's DCA4 SCA (Supplimental Coolant Additives), first introduced in 1984, contain heavy-duty chemical inhibitors and organic corrosion inhibitors that provide enhanced diesel engine liner pitting protection. These inhibitors contain Potassium, Phosphate, Potassium Nitrate, Sodium Nitrite, Sodium Molybate, and Adipic Acid.

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not trying to hijack, but is there a list of coolants somewhere that have SCAs added? I don't have any fleet/truck parts stores nearby that I know of and would like to find the correct coolant at O'Reilly's , VatoZone or Pep Boys.

Mike, I just bought 3 gallons of coolant at Napa the other day that has the SCA's added already but cant remember the name of the stuff.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I wonder if I should check mine. Been 6 years since I put it in with distilled water. It was blue in color. Looked like window washer fluid too. Was a diesel coolant called fleet guard or fleet charge.. Need to go look it up again.. Only checked it once right after in installed and ran it for a few thousand miles. I recall it saying on the bottle no sca required. BTW using true distilled water has to conductivity to it so there is no electrolis going on with the alumin radiater and cast iron parts.. Just another good reason to use ditsilled water..

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Final Charge is good coolant! Unlike most other types of ELC it is compatible with older seals and gaskets.

The label will list Cummins 14603, That's the standard that Cummins came up with to make sure the newer coolants will not harm the seals and gaskets in older engines. Not many of the newer coolants meet this spec. Final Charge is one of two that I'm aware of.

It also meets CAT EC-1 witch means its silicate free. No silicates means no silicate drop out to plug the cooling system and the water pump seals and bearings last longer.

You also don't have to worry about checking SCAs with it witch is a big plus in my opinion. You just add the Final Charge extender at the recommended time and your good to go.

A lot of guys will say to stay away from the ELC coolants because they use Organic Acid Technology witch is true but that doesn't mean the coolant is acidic. The additive package starts out as an acid but the final product isn't acidic. Older conventional green uses Inorganic Acid Technology but no one mentions that.

To me ELC such as Final Charge is the way to go. They don't have to be changed out as often, You don't have to worry about SCA, and the cooling system stays in better shape. Ive heard of big trucks with over a million miles running ELC being torn down for rebuild and the cooling system looked brand new, water pump, cylinder liners all looked new.

ah1988ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got fleet charge from orileys its red in color ended up being close to $90 for all 4 bottles ouch! Alot cheaper then dealing with a cavitated engine , as stated above use distilled water dont skimp on its cheap .......